[SOLVED] Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined Dell Inspiron 7577

Status
Not open for further replies.

IqraChan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Hello. I could use some help. I know there have been similar posts. I have a Dell Inspiron 15-7577. I recently had it repaired, I got the processor fan replaced and after I got my laptop back, I get this warning whenever I turn on my laptop, "Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.”. I never had that issue before the repair.

My laptop battery is in very poor condition and I am aware of that, but it still used to charge, it would just drain quickly. Now, after the repair, my laptop won't charge. It just works while plugged in. I don't mind the fact that I can't use it without plugging in, since I normally use my laptop like a desktop, but I'm having FPS lags while playing even when my temps are 40-50 degrees (which is a huge improvement to my earlier 80-90 degrees before the processor fan replacement) so I'm thinking it's this AC adapter issue that's causing me to have FPS lags? Before the repair I didn't have FPS lags this often. I would go back to the repair shop but it's farrrr from my home and I'd rather not unless absolute necessary.

What I've tried:

1. I tried checking the plug to see if the pin is bent where it connects to the laptop, also checked the port where it is inserted. Nothing looks wrong.

2. I tried reinserting the plug.

Solution
The laptop is basically throttling down game play for lack of power.

What game(s) are you playing? Check the hardware requirements to determine if the laptop meets at least the minimal hardware specs for the game.

What was the original problem that needed to be repaired? You mentioned "processor fan" but do you know for certain that that was the problem or are you just noting what the repair shop said was needed and done?

The temperature's going down is a good sign that at least something was fixed.

Do you feel that the repair shop is technically capable and honest?

Are you certain that you received your original battery and adapter back when your laptop was returned to you?

That all said, use Resource Monitor and Task...

Ralston18

Titan

What game(s) are you playing? Check the hardware requirements to determine if the laptop meets at least the minimal hardware specs for the game.

What was the original problem that needed to be repaired? You mentioned "processor fan" but do you know for certain that that was the problem or are you just noting what the repair shop said was needed and done?

Are you certain that you received your original battery and adapter back when your laptop was returned to you?

That all said, use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe laptop performance. Just use one of the tools at a time.

Watch laptop performance while idling, doing light work and browsing, and finally while gaming.

Key is to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and by application or game.

Also try a couple of other wall outlets on different circuits or different locations. Eliminate a possible outlet/electrical power problem with your normal outlet(s).

Solution

IqraChan

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019

That all said, use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe laptop performance. Just use one of the tools at a time.

Watch laptop performance while idling, doing light work and browsing, and finally while gaming.

Key is to determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and by application or game.

Also try a couple of other wall outlets on different circuits or different locations. Eliminate a possible outlet/electrical power problem with your normal outlet(s).

I'm having FPS lag when I'm playing League of Legends and Persona 4. I didn't have such FPS lag before even when my GPU got really hot during paying.

I know that my processor fan was ruined because I got the error when I booted up computer plus I could feel air coming from CPU fan but not my GPU fan. I ordered the fan from eBay and provided it to technician myself. The technician is a friend of my dad's and he is capable and honest. The repair shop got 4.9 stars (117 reviews).

I'm sure I got the same battery and adapter since my dad was watching him while he did the work too. And my battery is in poor condition from before the repair, I didn't want to spend money on replacing it at the moment.

I tried a different outlet. It's still not charging. What I have noticed is that my charger seems to be a bit loose now, I hadn't noticed that before. My concern is that the DC jack might've got ruined or isn't fitted properly. I've read online that DELL laptops have flimsy DC jacks. This is just an assumption. I will try running task manager and see what comes up. And resource monitor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.