[SOLVED] Alexa Echo questions

Aug 23, 2020
Hello, I'm approaching the world of the smart home for the first time and I learned of the new Echo and Echo Dot 4th gen being available in a few days.
I like to turn off the Wi-Fi at night but I would like to still be able to turn on and off lights with my voice while the wifi is off..

1)From what I learned I could do that only with the Echo (and not with the Dot) because the Echo has an integrated Zigbee HUB while the Dot doesn't, may you confirm this?

2) On the other hand, the Dot has bluetooth, can I control bluetooth lights without wifi then?

Last edited:
Solution
You are correct the Dot does not have work with Zigbee.

Never heard of a light controller using bluetooth, range would be too short for it to be useful across a house. The Dot bluetooth is for connecting things like a phone to it for playing music or to a bluetooth speaker.

Never heard of a light controller using bluetooth, range would be too short for it to be useful across a house. The Dot bluetooth is for connecting things like a phone to it for playing music or to a bluetooth speaker.

Solution
Aug 23, 2020

All the new Philips Hue lights compatible with Alexa have bluetooth and they don't require a Philips hub anymore, that's what I was referring to

All the new Philips Hue lights compatible with Alexa have bluetooth and they don't require a Philips hub anymore, that's what I was referring to

Shows when the last time I looked at those things is, from the specs on it you need the app for them, which means Alexa would have to be loaded with that capability as a "skill" from Philips. Does not seem there is one for bluetooth

Philips Hue Bluetooth App
IOS 11 and later
Android 7.0 and later

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
First of all, the 4th Gen Amazon Echo Dot is a really smart product and it has brought some amazing changes for the security and calling as well. This Mediatek powered device is something that even I am looking to have. And you are right about the Dot since it does not have work with Zigbee. Also, controlling lights etc. with the help of Bluetooth is something new for me. Maybe the Alexa app can help you in the process. You can try it out.

Last edited: