Alexa

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Can someone please tell me what 'Alexa' is that is being picked up by Adware?
Also, should I delete it? Many thanks.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Alexa is not spyware....if you delete it, you'll delete
the "Related" button in Internet Explorer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups


Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Buiskop19" wrote:

| Can someone please tell me what 'Alexa' is that is being picked up by Adware?
| Also, should I delete it? Many thanks.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Ok, thank you. Do you know why it shows on one PC, and not my other one?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Alexa is not spyware....if you delete it, you'll delete
> the "Related" button in Internet Explorer.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Buiskop19" wrote:
>
> | Can someone please tell me what 'Alexa' is that is being picked up by Adware?
> | Also, should I delete it? Many thanks.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Also, what IS the 'Related' button in IE?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Alexa is not spyware....if you delete it, you'll delete
> the "Related" button in Internet Explorer.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups
>
>
> Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> "Buiskop19" wrote:
>
> | Can someone please tell me what 'Alexa' is that is being picked up by Adware?
> | Also, should I delete it? Many thanks.
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Web pages related to the one you are currently visiting.
The new Alexa Toolbar has a similar feature.
Microsoft eliminated the "related" feature when SP2 is
installed, so you can safely delete Alexa if you wish.

Alexa gives you information about the sites you visit
http://download.alexa.com/index.cgi?p=Dest_W_t_40_L1

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Get Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Buiskop19" wrote:

| Also, what IS the 'Related' button in IE?
 

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
1,276
0
19,280
0
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Just a little more UNINFORMED ADVICE FROM "MISGUIDED CAREY FRISCH" (MWA/MSP)
(most worthless advisor/Microsoft Puppet)

Just to be clear, this feature is 'spyware', if you use it. If you do so,
you will be sending information to MSN and Alexa obtained by spying, because
there is nowhere that Microsoft adequately discloses and documents that
privacy 'leak'. Sure, Alexa have some information on it, and a pretty clear
privacy policy, but you don't get to know of Alexa's involvement until after
you use the feature, and even then you have to hunt for it, and even then no
mention is made of MSN's interstitial involvement. Don't blame Alexa
though - it's Microsoft's responsibility to provide their users with
complete and truthful disclosure - and they haven't.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Thank you Jack. Do I get rid? How did it get there? I am doing a clean up of
someone else's laptop and don't want to mess anything up.

"Jack" wrote:

> Just a little more UNINFORMED ADVICE FROM "MISGUIDED CAREY FRISCH" (MWA/MSP)
> (most worthless advisor/Microsoft Puppet)
>
> Just to be clear, this feature is 'spyware', if you use it. If you do so,
> you will be sending information to MSN and Alexa obtained by spying, because
> there is nowhere that Microsoft adequately discloses and documents that
> privacy 'leak'. Sure, Alexa have some information on it, and a pretty clear
> privacy policy, but you don't get to know of Alexa's involvement until after
> you use the feature, and even then you have to hunt for it, and even then no
> mention is made of MSN's interstitial involvement. Don't blame Alexa
> though - it's Microsoft's responsibility to provide their users with
> complete and truthful disclosure - and they haven't.
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Ok, I understand now. Thank you all.

"Buiskop19" wrote:

> Thank you Jack. Do I get rid? How did it get there? I am doing a clean up of
> someone else's laptop and don't want to mess anything up.
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Just a little more UNINFORMED ADVICE FROM "MISGUIDED CAREY FRISCH" (MWA/MSP)
> > (most worthless advisor/Microsoft Puppet)
> >
> > Just to be clear, this feature is 'spyware', if you use it. If you do so,
> > you will be sending information to MSN and Alexa obtained by spying, because
> > there is nowhere that Microsoft adequately discloses and documents that
> > privacy 'leak'. Sure, Alexa have some information on it, and a pretty clear
> > privacy policy, but you don't get to know of Alexa's involvement until after
> > you use the feature, and even then you have to hunt for it, and even then no
> > mention is made of MSN's interstitial involvement. Don't blame Alexa
> > though - it's Microsoft's responsibility to provide their users with
> > complete and truthful disclosure - and they haven't.
> >
> >
> >
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

In addition:

Is Alexa spyware?: (Thanks for Alan Edwards for the URL)
http://www.imilly.com/alexa.htm

FAQ - The home of Spybot-S&D!:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/8.html

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx

"Buiskop19" <Buiskop19@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DB24459D-712A-4B7B-9D6C-20110A4695D8@microsoft.com...
> Ok, I understand now. Thank you all.
>
> "Buiskop19" wrote:
>
>> Thank you Jack. Do I get rid? How did it get there? I am doing a clean up
>> of
>> someone else's laptop and don't want to mess anything up.
>>
>> "Jack" wrote:
>>
>> > Just a little more UNINFORMED ADVICE FROM "MISGUIDED CAREY FRISCH"
>> > (MWA/MSP)
>> > (most worthless advisor/Microsoft Puppet)
>> >
>> > Just to be clear, this feature is 'spyware', if you use it. If you do
>> > so,
>> > you will be sending information to MSN and Alexa obtained by spying,
>> > because
>> > there is nowhere that Microsoft adequately discloses and documents that
>> > privacy 'leak'. Sure, Alexa have some information on it, and a pretty
>> > clear
>> > privacy policy, but you don't get to know of Alexa's involvement until
>> > after
>> > you use the feature, and even then you have to hunt for it, and even
>> > then no
>> > mention is made of MSN's interstitial involvement. Don't blame Alexa
>> > though - it's Microsoft's responsibility to provide their users with
>> > complete and truthful disclosure - and they haven't.
>> >
>> >
>> >
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS