Question Alfa Network AWUS1900 can't connect to the internet

Jun 7, 2022
First, the realtek utility tool, gave me a lot of freezes, ui glitches, and other problems, which suggest that something is wrong with it, but for some reason they stopped occurring after few re-installations. It also keeps swapping the icons on the bottom left windows start menu, with open softwares, which i assume suggest that it was losing the connection with the adapter, but the adapter didn't disconnect, and the light was there.

After i found out that i can't connect because of the password encryption type, now after few seconds most of the time it gets disconnected, but sometimes it works for few minutes, the internet works good at that time.

When it disconnects, and i try reconnect, i get an error from windows that it couldn't connect, if i press resolve problems there's nothing specific, it says system couldn't resolve the problem, but sometimes it says that there's a problem with the access point, which would suggest something about the router, but it says clearly that it supports the connection type i have, and also at that point it shouldn't work at all, the connection detection is set to automatic in the wi-fi settings.

My router has 2-3 lines signal strength out of 5, the router sometimes losses connection, but i can see that's the router losing the signal, not the wi-fi, and it's nothing like the new adapter, also the old one almost doesn't disconnect. The signal strength from the adapter to the router is 85-100%, meanwhile the old one had 45-55% and still was very stable.

The old one had no problems like this, i tried to remove the old drivers, but it didn't help, then i reinstall the system and still nothing.

When i attached the new adapter, i got an error that some 802.11n driver(Or something similar) is missing and can't be found, which i suspect should be built in. Then i tried to download the files on the provider's website, but the error occurred as well, i tried the other variant they provided, but also nothing. Somehow it got it after many installation attempts, but still i couldn't connect(I didn't notice at that time that the password encryption type was wrong).

After i reinstall the whole system, install the specific drives, the error about missing driver didn't occur, and it said the driver was installed. I have no usb 3.0, but it says it should work with 2.0, the connection types my router uses are supported by the adapter, there's no hologram which the seller claimed they removed in 2019, but i couldn't verify it, i tried to look it up, but there's no information about that. On movies from unboxing it i see some CD's probably with drivers, but in my case there were none. Still, everything was new and it didn't look like someone unpack it.

Out of 2 weeks, i still have 3 days before i can't send it back anymore, so i need a fast answer what to check in order to make sure i did everything what's possible to test it out.

I have windows 7 64bit, old CPU core i7 4700, 10gb ram, GPU nvida gtx 970, motherboard is gigabyte h81M-D3H.

Ralston18

Titan
This adapter?

https://files.alfa.com.tw/[1] WiFi USB adapter/U24N/QIG/UG-RT.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct User Guide.]

Refer to the User Guide to double check all connections and configurations.

= = = =

Where is the network adapter positioned - behind the host computer, up on desk, somewhere else?

Try using a USB extension cable to raise the adapter up and about to determine if the signal will improve.

Very likely that the router is transmitting quite well. However, the network adapter's signal may be too weak to constantly reach the router.

I do not put much faith in those signal strength indicators/percentages.....

Make and model router? How far from the network adapter and host computer? What all is in between the two devices: walls, floors, appliances, etc.?

And this:

"I have no usb 3.0, but it says it should work with 2.0, the connection types my router uses are supported by the adapter, there's no hologram which the seller claimed they removed in 2019, but i couldn't verify it, i tried to look it up, but there's no information about that. "

"Supported" can be broadly interpreted. Could simple mean that the plug fits.

"No hologram": Sort of understand that but no way to know the history etc.. And if you cannot verify something the seller said then the product is suspect.

Work through the install and configuration another time or two. Test distances etc..

If a constant steady internet connection cannot be established then return the adapter.

Jun 7, 2022
This adapter?

https://files.alfa.com.tw/[1] WiFi USB adapter/U24N/QIG/UG-RT.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct User Guide.]

Refer to the User Guide to double check all connections and configurations.

= = = =

Where is the network adapter positioned - behind the host computer, up on desk, somewhere else?

Try using a USB extension cable to raise the adapter up and about to determine if the signal will improve.

Very likely that the router is transmitting quite well. However, the network adapter's signal may be too weak to constantly reach the router.

I do not put much faith in those signal strength indicators/percentages.....

Make and model router? How far from the network adapter and host computer? What all is in between the two devices: walls, floors, appliances, etc.?

And this:

"I have no usb 3.0, but it says it should work with 2.0, the connection types my router uses are supported by the adapter, there's no hologram which the seller claimed they removed in 2019, but i couldn't verify it, i tried to look it up, but there's no information about that. "

"Supported" can be broadly interpreted. Could simple mean that the plug fits.

"No hologram": Sort of understand that but no way to know the history etc.. And if you cannot verify something the seller said then the product is suspect.

Work through the install and configuration another time or two. Test distances etc..

If a constant steady internet connection cannot be established then return the adapter.

"This adapter?"
In the title it says AWUS036NHR, but mine is AWUS 1900

"Make and model router? How far from the network adapter and host computer? What all is in between the two devices: walls, floors, appliances, etc.? "

As i said, the old much smaler and weaker qi-fi can reach it, with no problems, and is stable with poor singal strenght, this is a much bigger wi-fi, with 4 big antennas, i don't know the router model, but i know it supports 802.11n (Wi-Fi 4), since the old wi-fi adapter had it, and it worked, the new one supports these standards:
802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5), 802.11n (Wi-Fi 4), 802.11g, 802.11b.
The distance whould be like 5-7 meters, but again the old one which much smaler distance reach has no problems.

"Try using a USB extension cable to raise the adapter up and about to determine if the signal will improve"
The signal strenght is nearly as good as it can be, and the ssid is always visible.

"I do not put much faith in those signal strength indicators/percentages" A much waker 9$ wi-fi can reach the router, so it's nearly impossible that a much better adapter can't reach it. If it couldn't, then there would be no SSID

"Supported" can be broadly interpreted. Could simple mean that the plug fits." That's not possible, they said it will work, but it will not reach 1300mbps+, so can't be the problem, unless somehow the compatibility with usb 2.0 is somehow interrupted, but idk how could it happen and how to fix it at that point, i saw a program runned in background, called if i remember good usb 3 to 2 or something like this, but it's always there.

"Work through the install and configuration another time or two. Test distances etc..
If a constant steady internet connection cannot be established then return the adapter. "

That's what i will have to do, i am gonna test it later for the last time, if it stil doesn't work, i will probably have to retun it, sicne i made a mistake, today and towmorrow are the last days before i can for sure give it back.

Last edited: