Aliens: Colonial Marines Goes Gold

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wdmfiber[/nom]Your not much of a fan are you? If you watched the movie Alien, you would know a human first discovered a facehugger egg while wearing a helmet. It offered no protection. The egg hatched and facehugger lurched on the guys helmet, melting right through the glass. And later back on the space ship, it melted through more than that...[/citation]

I don't think the engineers that designed the helmet expected it to be subjected to acids that put Trifluoromethanesulfonic or Fluorosulfuric acid to shame.

Anti-acid material + metallic superbase = Protection against at least one facehugger encounter

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]4Ryan6[/nom]Agreed! It's well established a helmet won't do you any good against a facehugger.It will be interesting to see if this game concentrates all efforts into the Colonial Marines and not like previous releases split the layout efforts between playing as the Marine, Predator, or Alien.[/citation]

There is no previous releases for this part of game, this is actual canon which follows Aliens (second movie). That means there will be Only humans and Aliens. And I really hope story in this game will be good, because this might be one of few games which I wanna get just for story.

G

[citation][nom]ckholt83[/nom]Try Natural Selection 2[/citation]
Listen to this man! NS2 is amazing.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wikiwikiwhat[/nom]Aliens would never be effective in the EVE Online/DUST514 universe. People would just kill themselves as soon as a face hugger got them.[/citation]

Facehuggers can infect corpses, well at least in the movie.

fcmatt

Honorable
Jan 19, 2013
The marines do have anti-acid helmets and armor, a few YEARS later during the big war and earth invasion.

Colonial marines takes place a couple months after the aliens movie, the marines in this game have no idea what they're in for.

You should try reading the book series, it's decent and fun to read.

Th-z

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Forget about marines, send an army of bishop androids to fight Aliens, both Lance Henriksen and Google will be pleased.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I've always wondered...If the humans are "infected" by the facehuggers jumping up onto them...Why don't they wear full-protection helmets so the Aliens have to break the helmets completely open?[/citation]

While your entirely right and that would be the logical method of at-least reducing the process it's something that would minimize the threat in the movies and games to the humans. Which would make it less dramatic and exciting. I'm sure it's been thought of by those involved. Another solution discussed many years ago would be to take tissue samples and just create bio-weapons and let them ignorantly spread the disease themselves much like those ant traps where the ants take poisoned food back to the hive and wipe themselves out.

[citation][nom]4Ryan6[/nom]Agreed! It's well established a helmet won't do you any good against a facehugger.It will be interesting to see if this game concentrates all efforts into the Colonial Marines and not like previous releases split the layout efforts between playing as the Marine, Predator, or Alien.[/citation]

Yes and no.

The face huger doesn't immediately melt through the face plate, that would instantly kill the host and they need the host alive to incubate the alien. What the face huger does is strangle the host with their tail and force the host into an unconscious state where the face huger can then slowly melt it's way through any protection the host has. The stronger protection the longer it'll take the face huger to get through. This is why you need two forms of protection, one is a fully face covering helmet, not one of those plastic bubble ones, we're talking something that covers the entire mouth and nose region with metal. You also need something to protect your neck and air supply, if it can't strangle you into unconsciousness then it won't have time to melt off your face protection.

Fully 80% of the danger of Xenomorphs comes from the suspect simply not knowing, if you know where they are and how they act then it's not that hard to kill them. Lots of lights and stay away from air ducts.

-Yes I'm that much of a fan of the entire Alien series.

I'm interested in this because I'm an absolute fan of the Aliens series (even the AvP spinoffs). There is just something surreal about running around fighting these things that just don't want to die. There is more of them then you have ammo so going all Serious on them doesn't always work. My only concern is that they don't try to make another CoD clone with "terrorist" being replaced by "Alien".

h22chen

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I sure hope it was just as scary as the original AvP. When I first played the Marine section in the original AvP on the PC, I was scared, even the soundtrack and sound effects fits the mood perfectly. The anticipation, the nervousness, the uncertainty are in the game; you just never know when an alien would all of a sudden jump in your face.

But then, I had a heck of a lot of fun playing as the alien, so sweet scaring the humans and taking the out.

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
question i have always wanted to ask the aliens creator:

hibernation sleeping chamber, cyborg, out of this world spaceship; but the marines still wear ancient suits?

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Yes and no.The face huger doesn't immediately melt through the face plate, that would instantly kill the host and they need the host alive to incubate the alien. What the face huger does is strangle the host with their tail and force the host into an unconscious state where the face huger can then slowly melt it's way through any protection the host has. The stronger protection the longer it'll take the face huger to get through. This is why you need two forms of protection, one is a fully face covering helmet, not one of those plastic bubble ones, we're talking something that covers the entire mouth and nose region with metal. You also need something to protect your neck and air supply, if it can't strangle you into unconsciousness then it won't have time to melt off your face protection.

Fully 80% of the danger of Xenomorphs comes from the suspect simply not knowing, if you know where they are and how they act then it's not that hard to kill them. Lots of lights and stay away from air ducts.-Yes I'm that much of a fan of the entire Alien series.[/citation]

Nano suit solve this problem entirely.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I've always wondered...If the humans are "infected" by the facehuggers jumping up onto them...Why don't they wear full-protection helmets so the Aliens have to break the helmets completely open?[/citation]

Not standard equipment? I don't know, best guess.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Draconian[/nom]Wow! A game about space marines. How original.[/citation]
It kind of nice they are revisiting this part of the series. I always thought the Colonial Marines were badass, but they never brought them back after Aliens... Game Over Man!

Status
Not open for further replies.