News Alienware’s 500 Hz IPS Gaming Monitor Breaks Cover

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
At what hz do the diminishing returns kick in? Its gotta be fairly early. Im "old" and my eyes arent what they were 20 years ago but i have a 240hz and 165hz side by side and cannot tell the difference. Both are quality monitors and driven with a 4090... maybe its just me or my eyes are old? My CPL years are far behind me lol.

At what hz do the diminishing returns kick in? Its gotta be fairly early. Im "old" and my eyes arent what they were 20 years ago but i have a 240hz and 165hz side by side and cannot tell the difference. Both are quality monitors and driven with a 4090... maybe its just me or my eyes are old? My CPL years are far behind me lol.
I’m 41 but my eyesight is still good. I can notice a difference between my 144Hz and 240Hz monitors. It’s not the type of difference that is staggering, more just a noticeable improvement. I do have my doubts about higher Hz returns. Also from what I have seen in reviews is OLED response times are so good that lower Hz OLED can allegedly outperform higher Hz IPS, but I have no first hand experience of these.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021

A typical humans visual can only interpret visual cues in about 13 ms, 8 ms for those in the faster end of the spectrum the diminishing returns happen very quickly. 60 Hz paints the screen in about 19 ms, 120 Hz 8.3 and 240 Hz 4.2. Given even the best humans can't interpret visual cues at 4.2 ms the diminishing returns for going above 120 Hz are significant.

Reactions: -Fran- and JTWrenn
Oct 22, 2022
So much more bandwidth available with the new connectors, HDMI 2.1 and DP 2.0. I think there was a 240 Hz 4K monitor that came out recently from Samsung.

TRENDING THREADS