Alienware 17 R2 (2015) or Lenovo Y50-70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisol

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
Hello all. I'm planning on getting a mid-range gaming laptop. I read everywhere that Alienware laptops were over-priced but I've been searching for the last couple of days and laptops with similar characteristics are in the same price range, or even more (Samsung, Asus, MSI).
I would be getting the entry one, with the GTX 970m. The price is $1500 and it comes with a "gift", a Logitech G930 headset. Is it a good laptop? Any known issues?
On the other hand I really like the Lenovo Y50, the one that comes with the GTX 960m 4GB. It costs a bit less, but I read that the keyboard and palm rest areas gets REALLY dirty and greasy because of it's soft touch material, and over time they peel off. That is a deal breaker for me because I try to keep my devices clean and in mint condition. Ever heard of this issue?
Which laptop would you get?
Well, thanks in advance!

metalicgeek

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
The GTX 970M is tremendously fast compared to the 960M. On this basis alone I would strongly recommend the Alienware laptop, but I also recommend it due to good service, durability, and general lifespans of Alienware laptops.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I have an Alienware 18 and I love it. I purchased mine in 2014 and then Alienware dropped it in 2015. So the 2015 models are the 13", 15" and the 17. They are also promoting the external graphics amplifier to mover the heat outside the laptop case. The 18" owners complained and did a petition and they actually brought the 18" about a month ago.

Pisol

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
Thank you all guys. I will get the Alienware.
I read in some forums that it is possible to chat with an Alienware sales assistant and ask for a discount if you're a student. Anybody heard of that?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
If you're asking for 10% EPP Student discount, you can call the EPP department and just tell them you are a student at your university and they'll process it. They don't even check if you actually go there, all they do is put the name of the school and done. 10% Applied!

I suppose another benefit of the Alienware is that you can purchase the Alienware Amplifier (Amp) at a later point in time for better gaming performance.

The Amp is basically an external case ($300) for a desktop GPU which can be connected to current generation Alienware laptops. Naturally, you will need to purchase a desktop GPU as well.

Pisol

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
Well thank you SO much guys. I really appreciate it! I'm definitely getting the Alienware.
The only problem with the EPP is that I live in Argentina haha. I'm a mechanical engineering student.
Any of you know if my university has to be registered somewhere to be entitled to the discount?

Status
Not open for further replies.