Question Alienware 17r2 blank screen

Mar 7, 2020
Good evening, I am really hoping I can get some help!

My Dell Alienware m17 r2 suddenly does not show anything on the screen. I shut it down, and when I turned it on again the next day, blank screen. The keyboard and the lit name on the monitor itself both come on brightly (proving it is receiving power), but the monitor shows nothing.
The computer does not however go all the way to Windows, as far as I can tell. Alienware has a system of lights to warn you of mechanical errors (num, scroll, caps), none of those are lit.

Things I have done/tested:
Took out both memory sticks, got the double beep (which I am told means the motherboard is fine, but I am not sure)
Tried a different memory stick of the same type from a working laptop, still a blank screen.
Reset the CMOS battery
checked and double-checked all connections inside the laptop
Hit fn+power which is supposed to start alienware's diagnostic program. I have no way to know whether this starts but it does not resolve the problem.

I appreciate any help or suggestions can give!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you connect the laptop to an external monitor to see if you get anything on said external display? You might want to remove both sticks of ram, use an eraser to run along the gold contacts and then wipe clean and reinsert the sticks of ram.

While laptop is disconnected from the wall, remove the battery and the sticks of ram and press and hold down the power button, for at least 30 seconds. Replace a stick of ram, then reconnect to the wall(without the battery) and power up the laptop. See if that helps.

Mar 7, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you connect the laptop to an external monitor to see if you get anything on said external display? You might want to remove both sticks of ram, use an eraser to run along the gold contacts and then wipe clean and reinsert the sticks of ram.

While laptop is disconnected from the wall, remove the battery and the sticks of ram and press and hold down the power button, for at least 30 seconds. Replace a stick of ram, then reconnect to the wall(without the battery) and power up the laptop. See if that helps.
Thank you for your reply!

I have power drained it, no effect.

In regards to the external monitor, we tried that and could not get it to work for either this laptop or my old working spare. The monitor remained blank, not sure what the deal was there.

I will try the eraser trick today.

TRENDING THREADS