Alienware Aims At VR With VR Backpacks, System Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
So added wait to your body so you can strap vr on. Not sure I like that. Only would work if well you want immersion for like Halo or something.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
If the Alienware back-pack is based around the Alpha it could be a more viable option than some of the other offerings; less upgradeable of course, but I'd rather strap an Alpha to my back as those are tiny. Still requires batteries of course, but they're pretty good on power consumption, unlike more modular systems. Though I'm not sure if the 960 has enough power for VR? Of course every GPU maker is trying to convince us only their latest GPUs are good enough, and I'm not convinced that that is true.

That external graphics brick however is hideous; the full-sized PSU just makes it far too big, it really needs a custom PSU that fit a better form factor. In fact a vertical design could be a lot more interesting with a PSU at the bottom and the card oriented to expel air from the top, it'd be easier to tuck under a desk or behind a monitor or such this way too, a wide, long box just doesn't really mesh well with a compact laptop.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Makes 0 sense. Rift has to be connected via USB to a desk-mounted camera. That's instantly a no-go.

Vive requires you stay within a max of a 15 square meter play area. It's not like you're going to walk out your front door and go gaming down the street. You're still stuck inside a tiny little area. So you're basically trading in a tiny little cord that you forget about as soon as the game starts for a 10 pound computer strapped to your back that you're sure as hell never going to forget is there.

What a stupid idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.