Alienware Alpha Available for Pre-Purchase, UI Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Sounds good and all, and the UI looks quite nice just from that picture, however the problem is that I doubt it will offer the same performance as a PS4, which it will inevitably be compared to. The price is fair, but it's still more expensive than a PS4/X1, for worse performance in most titles.
You don't have to convince me about PC gaming, I know you can do more with a PC vs. a console, etc., but still, I think my point will hurt those SteamBoxes quite hard.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
You can use this as a console sure, but you can also use it as a regular computer. That alone adds a lot of value to the system I think.

MrGulio

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
I wonder how well this will hold up against the consoles?

Sales-wise it will not even be close as this won't have a retail presence. Performance-wise I would think it could do well as the consoles are pretty much locked to 30fps, this hardware could easily keep pace.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
More specs on the GPU would be nice. That will determine if this device is worthwhile. OAN: Kind of disappointed Valve delayed the Steam OS program.

thequn

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2012
interesting i dont think this wil g over well in the usa market but in foreign markets where the cost of building a computer is more for each picse. like the Philippines where each component in a computer cost 50-100 dollars more.

Zachary Yeager

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Im personally floored by this concept, an upgradable set top console. I've allready preordered the $899 model. I realize its Alienware, I realize they havent had the best track record. But as far as specs go i dont see why the top tier cant run BF4, or even an alpha release like Kerbal Space Program in full 1080p or even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.