Alienware Alpha Caught Running Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
What a click-bait title. Alienware wasn't "caught" doing anything. They were very clear at E3 that SteamOS is still in beta and are releasing the Aplha running Windows for the time being in order to get production rolling and get units out the door. They were also clear that their support team is open to helping Alpha customers to install the SteamOS beta on the machines after purchase and that doing so will not void the warranty.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Does Tom's have reporters or persons who just regurgitate press releases and anything PR persons say? Because I cant understand how a "reporter" can have an Alienware representative in font of them and they make a stamen about Windows not being the ideal platform for a desktop experience and not ask the simple question why? As a reporter you don't let persons get away which such blanket statements without some clarification,it leaves the reader the impression that for whatever reasons they can think of Windows 8.1 is just a rubbish platform and that is that.This isn't journalism its clickbait and PR for any non Microsoft company that sponsored this article.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Hey guys here is a $500 sub-par PC in the size of a console! I-Its not like you just couldn't build an ITX system for the same amount and have much better specs than a "maxwell" GPU (probably a 750 or 750 Ti as TMSC is still not ready) and an i3. (probably a mobile CPU variant)

Also you can't upgrade your graphics card (kinda the most important component to upgrade for a gaming PC) Enjoy guys and best of wishes from Alienware!!1!

wikiwikiwhat

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
"Windows 8.1 just isn't an ideal interface for a desktop experience"

This has me so enraged. Not sure who I am more mad at, the "reps", Toms Hardware, or Kevin Parrish who didn't even garner a response to them as to why they would come up with something so stupid to say.

sc14s

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
What a click-bait title. Alienware wasn't "caught" doing anything. They were very clear at E3 that SteamOS is still in beta and are releasing the Aplha running Windows for the time being in order to get production rolling and get units out the door. They were also clear that their support team is open to helping Alpha customers to install the SteamOS beta on the machines after purchase and that doing so will not void the warranty.
Yeah.. i wish i could downvote the article based on the title alone.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm pretty interested in this, but I'll have to wait for UK prices; far too many great sound systems come across to the UK with well above the 20% VAT markup, making them a much less appealing prospect.

But while I'm optimistic for Valve's Steam Machines, I'd pretty much just be installing either Windows 8 or my existing Windows 7 license onto one anyway for better compatibility until SteamOS gains momentum, so Alienware switching to Windows 8.1 now doesn't really change anything for me. All I want is decent hardware in a console sized package, and this looks like it could be it, if the UK pricing isn't insane of course.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
This is a Steam client? There are a lot of old and indie games on Steam that still won't run on 8.1, sometimes it's just the Steam version that seems to be a problem.

Current games do well though and does anyone really pay attention to the OS a console type device runs?

Status
Not open for further replies.