Alienware And Dell Announce Oculus Ready PC Bundles For $1,600

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blinken

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
i'm sure they're not happy about having to gimp RAM and put an HDD in a gaming rig to get the price down, or gasp maybe the oculus isn't being sold at cost.

Clivegsd

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
I always wanted an Alienware rig, I got one, it's been a nightmare since I brought it and years to get satisfaction from Dell for a computer that wasn't fit for purpose.

I'd not waste my money on a Dell or Alienware PC ever again, the only way I'd own another one is if it was given to me for free, and even then I'd just keep it as a back up PC

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006

I had an Alienware laptop and it was awesome, so your mileage may vary.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

I'm with you, I had an Alienware M14X R2 for several years. It was the most solid notebook I've ever bought bother physically and functionality-wise.

l33tforza

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015

I'm with you, I had an Alienware M14X R2 for several years. It was the most solid notebook I've ever bought bother physically and functionality-wise.

I had an Alienware Laptop back in 2005, F.E.A.R. sent it smoking halfway through the game. Bought an Aurora Desktop, was a beast. Then i decided to build my own PC again after the somewhat decent alienware experience. Building my own rig, for me, is the best decision for a gaming rig hands down.

It is sad when a good brand is bought by a cheaper one and they live of past rep.
I'm going to wait until this segment gets more mature before I get in to it.

Last name brand rig I bought was in the late 80s to early 90s it was a Packard Bell 80286. I had to call their tech support to get the dip switch config when I wanted to add more RAM. I waited on hold for nearly 4 hours, I begged them to send me a copy of the manual but they said they couldn't and the manual with the computer wasn't for the right motherboard. They had absolutely the worst customer support I've ever experienced in my life, even worse than TWC & WM! After that I always built my own rigs, so I have a Frankenstein on my desk these days, lol. But it does everything I want it to do so I'm happy with it, and if I need to change anything it's easy.

deathcall666

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Now i do not say allienware are bad they are like every gamer's dream , but there is nothing compared to when you build your own PC out of parts really.
Resuming the oculus thinghy , gtx 970 being the minumum i can most certainly bet that it will not last too long as VR hardware ( since Gpu demand will raise rather fast since next gen Gpu from both NV and AMD are coming and oculus aint even released already) . And now lets be serious how often you want to rennew your hardware ( gpu especially) , like once 2-3 years (unless you are very rich and go for enthusiast stuff every generation) , and sin.ce Gddr5 is becoming obsolette for high end gpu's while HBM will go mainstream id rather wait like 6 months to buy this. Also what would be the hurry , ocullus aint even released , soo just wait a little bit.
From what i deducted next gen arctic island is mopping gtx950 with more power eficiency no news about NV but they should be close to that performance as well with thier upcoming series.
Really no point in buying gpu's (powerfull gpu's even more) anymore, when such gamechanging tehnologies are being featured in next-gen (HBM, 14nm and so much more)

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
I build my own desktop PCs too, but there is a reason why brands like Alienware exists. A lot of gamers just wants a factory built gamer PC and not waste time on figuring out what Power Supply would work best in what case combined with that processor and this motherboard.

I always wanted an Alienware rig, I got one, it's been a nightmare since I brought it and years to get satisfaction from Dell for a computer that wasn't fit for purpose.

I'd not waste my money on a Dell or Alienware PC ever again, the only way I'd own another one is if it was given to me for free, and even then I'd just keep it as a back up PC
I used to fix and build Alienware PC's, the amount of testing before one leaves the door is extremely rigorous. They run full bench-marking suites, games etc to make sure it all works. The main issues we encountered were software, and lack of knowledge of the user. The clientele that generally buys Alienware expect it to just work, like a console, they aren't experienced PC builders. But it's still a PC and not without hitches in games, software, settings and drivers which are out of the hands of the PC manufacturer.
I have had many dealings with Dell over the years on a personal and corporate level and i have been more than satisfied with their service.

Status
Not open for further replies.