Alienware Area 51 r2 [i7 5820(K)]

Epydemic

Commendable
Jun 2, 2016
Hello,
I began by researching overclocking the i7 5820 processor and found many great articles and videos:

Get the most out your Haswell-e

Random Overclock Tutorial 1

Random Overclock Tutorial 2

Random Overclock Tutorial 3

Random Overclock Tutorial 4

And worst of all...
Alienware Overclock Tutorial

Now there is a lot I don't understand. And clearly getting this box for 2k in a bind off craigslist was just the beginning of my mistakes even if it did come with 32gigs of ddr4 g.skill and 2 980s and a 2T 850 Evo seems like a steal. The frustration is Dell won't let me break it. Their soft wear let's me modify CPU BCLK Speed and what appears to be the Ring Ratio, cache/turbo ratio limit and core voltage. But never the Non turbo CPU RATIO or memory speeds(except in Uefi), or voltages. The software would let you change for each individual memory slot what you could change if you set the DRAM TIME MODE in the bios from auto to link, where you could also change the dram frquency.
This are confusing options in the bios like:
CPU Ratio Mode [Dynamic|Fixed]
Does this...-:
A.)Disable turbo mode? That doesn't make since turbo mode as a disable option...but if somehow set to 45... does that mean that the CPU Power management Configuration would all have to increase?
Settings like...Long Duration Power Limit (In Watts [Since I obviously can't chance the base ratios what formula can I use to determine wattage used if BCLK was 125 and turbo ratio was 40, what should the long duration power limit be?]);Long duration mantained;Short duration power limit
B.)Maybe it was those C5/C6 Has well C-States they were talking about...

And then there are the Overvoltage Configurations in the BIOS:
::MEMORY VOLTAGE (24h OUT1)[0-80]
::MEMORY VOLTAGE (26h OUT1)[0-80]
::DMI and Uncore VOLTAGE (2Ah OUT1)[0-55]
::CPU VCCIN [1.8 V-2.5 V]
Besides THE CPU input Voltage I'm at a complete lost... I can't find anything

So basically I'm just thinking I'll probably just set the BCLK to 105.9 which is all it can stay at without crashing and set the memory to 2400Mhz and try and Overclock the 980s I have until I get a new rig... unless there are some solutions someone could offer... please tell me if there is anything else I could provide to clerify.

Please excuse me I did this on my phone cause I can't fix my computer....>_<
#blackrigsmatter

Solution

Yeah, sorry about that. If you can, just swap out the motherboard for an aftermarket one like Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, or MSI and utilize the unlocked (in comparison) UEFI BIOS from any of them. You will yield much better results since they all allow for multiplier OC as well as BUS OC.

jdcranke07

Honorable

It seems that Dell has locked the BIOS down to where you can only do a front side BUS OC. That means that when you OC that, you OC the northbridge and its communication to your RAM and CPU, but not the CPU directly. So, your OC is unstable because you OC is actually overclocking your CPU, mobo (most of all), and your RAM. If you can't adjust the CPU blck multiplier only then you will be very limited with how far you can actually overclock. The front BUS OC is definitely the "fine tuning" portion of an overclock whereas the blck multiplier for the CPU is the "meat and potatoes" of you CPU being OC'd. as far as the other things you asked about, I'm sorry I wouldn't be the best to tell you. But, I wouldn't even bother with changing them if all you can OC is the Front BUS.

jdcranke07

Honorable

Yeah, sorry about that. If you can, just swap out the motherboard for an aftermarket one like Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte, or MSI and utilize the unlocked (in comparison) UEFI BIOS from any of them. You will yield much better results since they all allow for multiplier OC as well as BUS OC.

Solution