Alienware Aurora AAR4-1429BK Desktop?

rrspamrr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014
Hey Guys,

I'm getting a good deal on the Alienware Aurora AAR4-1429BK Desktop but before I purchase it, I just wanted to make sure it would be able to handle games like crysis 3 and Bf4 at ultra settings (with playable frame-rates).

The specs for this PC are as follows:
2nd Gen Intel Core i7-3820 processor - Features a 10MB cache and 3.6GHz processor speed with Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz.
Intel Core i7 processor - Features 8-way processing for ultimate smart performance. Intel Turbo Boost Technology automatically speeds up your processor when your PC needs extra performance.
8GB DDR3 memory - For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
Multiformat DVDRW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support - Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media.
1TB hard drive (7200 rpm) - Offers spacious storage and fast read/write times.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Titanium graphics - Feature 1.25GB dedicated video memory for lush images. HDMI output for connection to an HDTV.
19-in-1 media reader - Supports Compact Flash I/II, Microdrive, SmartMedia, MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, Secure Digital, miniSD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo and xD-Picture Card formats.
2 USB 3.0 ports and 4 USB 2.0 ports - For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
Built-in Gigabit Ethernet LAN - With RJ-45 connector for quick and easy wired Web

Thanks!

Solution
The GTX 770 is compatible with everything in your system (except your current graphics card) and either PSU should have no problems running it. Note that I am not taking aging of components in the PSU into account but I don't really think I need to here.

You would be able to overclock the GPU, the CPU, not so much but that's not the fault of the PSU, simply a limitation of the CPU

rrspamrr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

Do you know by any chance the PSU voltage for this model? Because I may choose to upgrade the gpu once I buy this model.

As far as I can tell, it should be an 875W model made by Delta but it is possible it is sporting a 525W model (I would think also Delta but that isn't a given). It seems to be a solid PSU as I didn't find any complaints during searches for it (usually the first thing one finds when doing a search for a poorly designed PSU)

rrspamrr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

Okay, sounds good, but lets just say I take the chance and buy this PC and it turns out to be the 525W model..... What would I be left with in terms of upgrade-ability?

Because like you mentioned, I would barely be able to play at medium/low settings so I would definitely be looking to upgrade this gpu in the future. So the question is would I still be able to upgrade to high end graphic cards in the future with a 525W psu?

If you have the 875W model, you could add another GTX 560 in SLI for ~$100 that should get you some decent gameplay for minimal further investment.
If you have the 525W model, you should be able to run most single graphics cards with that and a little further research shows that Chicony is the OEM for that unit, not Delta. But on the plus side here, it appears to be overbuilt, I know of no single GPU currently that can overwhelm it.

rrspamrr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

Thank you so much for all your help, but I have one last question. After conducting your research, are you confirming that this is the 535W model or are you still unsure?

I can't say for sure here because I do know Dell has used HiPro in the past (a four year old thread on the Dell forums listed them) but I'm under the impression Alienware uses better components than mainstream Dell which is why I'm thinking Chicony - that and every search I've done for AlienWare 525 PSU comes up with the same label, leading back to Chicony as the OEM

rrspamrr

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

Believe it or not, I'm getting this PC for only $500 from a close friend of mine! The gpu in this system is probably not suitable for high end games so I plan to replace that with a gtx 770 once I get the system. My question to you is would the gtx 770 be compatible with my PC, and if so, would I be able to overclock it?

The GTX 770 is compatible with everything in your system (except your current graphics card) and either PSU should have no problems running it. Note that I am not taking aging of components in the PSU into account but I don't really think I need to here.

You would be able to overclock the GPU, the CPU, not so much but that's not the fault of the PSU, simply a limitation of the CPU

Solution

TRENDING THREADS