Alienware Aurora GPU Upgrade Needed

Adrenolin

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
I had a Dell XPS 710 which was replaced with an Alienware Aurora a few years ago. Since then I've had to replace the GPU twice. No longer under warranty the current GPU is failing along with its fan. I'm looking to replace it with something a bit newer. I don't play too many games anymore but still enjoy a few when time permits. My current setup is:

Alienware Aurora (Water Cooled)
Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core CPU
6GB PC3-8500 DDR3 Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Graphics Card
525W Base Power Supply

I'm currently running 2 Dell 24" Widescreen LCD screens plus I'd like to add my 55" Samsung LED TV via HDMI which the GTX 260 didn't allow. I'd like to budget no more then 200$ on a replacement card and was looking at this card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5

Just wanted to ask if there would be any issues with this card and my older system. Also any other suggestions. Thanks.

Please mention the PSU Wattage as that is important to know before recommending the Card.

As for the main question. The best graphics card you can get under 200 dollars is the 7870. You can get it from http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202025&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

You might need a PSU upgrade for that if your PSU is anything below 550W.

Adrenolin

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013

I did post that I had a 525w PSU. Since I'm budgeting 200$ only I don't want to upgrade the power as well. Games I play are mostly 3+ years old or older so I don't need the latest greatest power cards. What I'm looking for is the best update from the 3-4 year old GTX 260 without building a new PC right now that will drive slightly older games, 2 24" screens and a 55" LED TV. Note I also power 4 internal 3TB drives and 2 external 1TB drives.

The 7870 requires 500-550W PSU so its beyond my capabilities with my current hardware. The 660 is within my budget and only requires a 430W PSU.

Okay, so get this combo, it costs just 185 dollars and it will get you a 7850 + Cooler Master 750W 80 Plus Bronze PSU

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master GX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $184.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-06 15:03 EDT-0400)

This is a very good deal, something that should definitely be bought.

Adrenolin

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
Not sure I understand why you recommend the HD 7850 1GB GPU. Everything I have found comparing it to the GTX 660 2GB says the later is just as good if not better and requires less power. Added is the extra work in replacing and upgrading the PSU which isn't required with the later. I'm not interested in OCing and even then, from what I've read, OCing the 7850 simply brings it up to the GTX 660, uses more power and generates more heat.

Sounds like more work, double the mail-in rebate issues, shorter hardware life span to me with no benefit. As I said I'm simply looking for a GPU upgrade/replacement for my existing old and failing card.

There's no reason to change the power supply, the GTX260 needs two 6 pin PCI-E connectors and burns as much, if not more power than a GTX660.
Most find the chart at the end (and sometimes the article ;) ) useful:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/gaming-graphics-card-review,review-32716.html
I assume those are US/Canadian Dollars? If so you'll be able to get the famous EVGA customer service and warranty, while I've not had a single hardware issue that was not self inflicted some like that extra peace of mind when making a purchase.
Or you could drop down a tier and get a GTX650 Ti Boost, either is going to be a significant upgrade and will run perfectly well on your system.

Adrenolin

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
Yes the older GTX 260 is quite power hungry, does have the 2 6-pin power leads, plus all 3 seemed to run on the hot side which I guess is at least 1 reason for them failing. System has always been kept clean and lots of ventilation around for air flow.

Does anyone know the power requirements for the GTX 660 SuperClocked? I've looked and have found the requirements for the base, SLI & TI cards but not the SC card.

Depending on the power consumption of the SC I might fall back to the GTX650 TI Boost but there is really only 10$ in the difference right now.

Edit: Found the power requirements for the SC... 450W PSU with a 140W total draw.