[SOLVED] Alienware Aurora R5 motherboard failure, now wont start.

Aug 18, 2019
So I made a post here a few days ago that my motherboard was bad. The PC started, with fans running at very low speed and no signal to the monitors. After replacing the motherboard off eBay, the computer will no longer start using the power button. No flashing yellow, no nothing. The test button on the PSU still works and everything appears to be working fine.

I went ahead and swapped at the old motherboard that I knew was bad, but at least turned the computer on. To my surprise, the damn thing still won’t turn on. At this point, I’m about to just ship it off to Dell and be done with it.

Yes, all cables have been triple checked. Not an issue with ram, because it would be blinking yellow. It’s completely unresponsive. I’ve also tried the “hold the power button for one minute”. Doesn’t work.

Does anyone know how to get to the power button board or know what my problem is?

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

What is your entire system spec including PSU make and model?
Unfortunately looking through the previous post, I was surprised this wasn't asked.

I would suspect your PSU is to blame at first glance. The paperclip test only tells you if it can start, not that it's supplying the correct and stable amount of power.
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. The power button issue has been fixed. My replacement motherboard was bad, and the lighting cable inside the case was loose. Computer starts now with the old motherboard, just the same as before. No POST, no BIOS, no signal to the monitors. I’m sending it off to dell to have the motherboard replaced.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Unfortunately looking through the previous post, I was surprised this wasn't asked.

I would suspect your PSU is to blame at first glance. The paperclip test only tells you if it can start, not that it's supplying the correct and stable amount of power.

Aug 18, 2019

Hi. Sorry for the late reply. The power button issue has been fixed. My replacement motherboard was bad, and the lighting cable inside the case was loose. Computer starts now with the old motherboard, just the same as before. No POST, no BIOS, no signal to the monitors. I’m sending it off to dell to have the motherboard replaced.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution
Aug 18, 2019

PSU isn’t the issue. In addition to the paper clip, we tested every single cable for voltages and they’re all correct including the 24 pin connector. I’ve tested both power supplies, and they’re all good.

Reactions: PC Tailor