[SOLVED] Alienware Aurora R8 vs R9

Oct 15, 2019
Hello, could someone help looking into either getting the top spec Aurora R8 or R9 but cant decide which cant seem to find any difference in spec both seem to be the same is there any difference besides cosmetic difference?

Solution
From what I can tell it's just the case design. The internals are what is important and we need to know how you are specifying the system you want. Bottom line if they both spec out the same then it just comes down to what you like in terms of case design.

They do say in the marketing piece that the Aurora R9 has much better airflow and it drops temps by 8 degrees C over the R8, so go R9 if there is no real price difference.
From what I can tell it's just the case design. The internals are what is important and we need to know how you are specifying the system you want. Bottom line if they both spec out the same then it just comes down to what you like in terms of case design.

They do say in the marketing piece that the Aurora R9 has much better airflow and it drops temps by 8 degrees C over the R8, so go R9 if there is no real price difference.

Solution
Oct 15, 2019
thanks for the replies yeah just the delivery time on the R9 which putting me off as its almost 5 weeks where as the R8 could be here next week an about £300 cheaper is it worth the wait for the extra air flow?

heres the spec im looking at :

9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900K

Windows 10 Home 64bit

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB

32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz

1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM

High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 850W Power Supply

Oct 15, 2019
thanks for the replies have decided to go with a custom built PC instead as reviews of compact case an that have put me off the alienware you guys think its worth waiting till black Friday if im going to go with a custom built pc off a site such as overclockers or scan or is it likely to only be 200 or 300 off as dont really want to wait that long unless its majorly different in price never really looked at pc prices on black friday before but from the stuff ive seen never really been that great on black friday

I would say Amazon's Black Friday event in the UK has been rather poor the last few years. Not really a traditional sales day for us. That said, depending on budget you could play around with Scan or Overclockers' PC configuration tool and see what is possible beforehand, so you'll be prepared for the approximate system you want.

Reactions: vMax
Oct 15, 2019
yeah thinking that from the last few years around £3000 for what im looking for trying to decide weather to get now or wait it out till black friday just seems ages away

If you can, wait. Unless you really need/want the system now.

Have to admit I haven't paid much attention to custom PCs on Black Fridays, so not sure if there are deals there. Components do get the occasional discount; Eurogamer tends to highlight those when they come about.

thanks for the replies have decided to go with a custom built PC instead as reviews of compact case an that have put me off the alienware you guys think its worth waiting till black Friday if im going to go with a custom built pc off a site such as overclockers or scan or is it likely to only be 200 or 300 off as dont really want to wait that long unless its majorly different in price never really looked at pc prices on black friday before but from the stuff ive seen never really been that great on black friday

That is a good point and I think you will get better value. Both Scan and Overclockers are very good and I use both and as importantly you get a decent warranty and support which always is worth the extra.

I have looked at Overclockers for there pre built overclocked Gaming systems and on the Intel side you will be looking at around £2800 for a 9900K + 2080Ti + 16GB RAM system with AIO etc...though they do allow you to make some changes outside the standard that they allow. Also if you call them they can help build you one to your specs...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...ntel-core-i9-9900k-4.8ghz-fs-1d3-og.html#t=c4

Though do shop around as there are a few others out there...