Review Alienware Aurora Ryzen Edition R10 (2021) Review: Proud and Loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I was deciding between the Alienware you reviewed and the HP Omen 30L. I decided to go with the Omen because of what you mentioned: cooling, noise and proprietary design. Just an FYI, I ran across a DIY on how to replace the PSU in the Aurora R10/11. Spoiler alert: it can be done but it's a major P.I.T.A.

The best bang for the buck I found to be the Omen 30L. I bought mine directly from Amazon for $2199.99 and it could have been a lot less ($1961 and I could have sworn I saw Amazon price it below $1500 once) if the scalpers and resellers hadn't beat me to checkout. The Omen 30L is a more standardized Mid Tower case and it has better cooling, but that's not saying much as it only uses a lower fan along with a rear fan and the liquid cooling radiator fan facing up top of the case. It can get a little noisy but nothing like what you the reviewer described.

My Omen 30L came with i9-10850K, 32GB HyperX 3200 Mhz, 1TB Nvme, 2TB 7200 rpm, RTX 3080, 750W Corsair PSU, Wifi 6, Basic RGB lighting. The rig was purchased primarily for MS Flight Simulator and the results are pretty solid. 4K Ultra settings regardless whether it's downtown NYC or out in the sticks and it produces a steady 30FPS which is good for a general aviation flight sim.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is PSU replacement really that hard? I thought the recent XPS series (8910, 8920, 8930, etc) were using the same swing-arm.

I changed the PSU on an 8910. There's one or two annoyances, but it didn't seem particularly troublesome.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Is PSU replacement really that hard? I thought the recent XPS series (8910, 8920, 8930, etc) were using the same swing-arm.

I changed the PSU on an 8910. There's one or two annoyances, but it didn't seem particularly troublesome.
The DIY'er found out that you can't just unplug the old mulex PSU connectors from the old Alienware PSU and transfer them to the new PSU. He had to basically disconnect and remove ALL of the original PSU cables from the PC then re-route the new cables on the Alienware Aurora R and it wasn't perfect but it worked.

brandonjclark

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
That's the weird thing. I have seen videos on YT where the reviewer says it's not that loud even when playing games. Then i've read reviews where they mention how loud it gets.

They must not be reviewing the LC variant. Seriously, it's not loud at all when playing games and dang near quiet when playing some games, like Rocket league.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Dell Alienware is going cheap for the case is the same XPS line case of 2019 with different plastic and cover.
Do you have a picture of that machine? I'd like to see it.

I did confirm to a previous poster that the configuration on the Alienware website and the review machine provided by Dell requires a 1000w PSU and liquid cooling radiator.

Feb 24, 2021
Do you have a picture of that machine? I'd like to see it.

I did confirm to a previous poster that the configuration on the Alienware website and the review machine provided by Dell requires a 1000w PSU and liquid cooling radiator.

It is the same inside frame and inside design , the water cooler on the Alienware is 120 RAD mounted on the top with more "plastic clearance"

The power supply is ATX size , they can put upto 1000 watts , it fits. and I found out that this case design goes back to DELL XPS 2017 !!!

here is the XPS case
Dell-XPS-desktop-Hardware.jpg

and here is the alienware case

awAuroraR9_xsy_01095rp000_gy_575px.jpg

even the older Alienware is the same case

aurora-inside-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Heat_Fan89

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
It is the same inside frame and inside design , the water cooler on the Alienware is 120 RAD mounted on the top with more "plastic clearance"

The power supply is ATX size , they can put upto 1000 watts , it fits. and I found out that this case design goes back to DELL XPS 2017 !!!

here is the Optiplex case
Dell-XPS-desktop-Hardware.jpg

and here is the alienware case

awAuroraR9_xsy_01095rp000_gy_575px.jpg

even the older Alienware is the same case

aurora-inside-2.jpg
Wow, I didn't know that. That PSU on that swing arm does block a lot of the airflow.

Feb 27, 2021
This opinion must absolutely be based on the build. My Ryzen 7 3700x / RTX 2080 Super makes practically no noise and pretty much touches my arm on my desktop it’s so close to me. The only time you hear a thing is when the 2080 super is maxed out and even then it’s not terribly audible. To hear it described as loud in any way boggles my mind. Had it almost a year now.
Also: Changing the power supply is not terribly hard, it only looks so. This is the one component I would say look ahead to getting a Corsair or something down the road. Dells off the shelf 1000w PSUs leave something to be desired and I managed to kill one in less than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.