Question Alienware AW2721D - only works with 144Hz

Cozmon

Commendable
Jun 4, 2019
Recently bought the Alienware AW2721D monitor and unfortunately i have been having problems configuring it so far.
I got it working now at 2560x1440 resolution, 8bpc colors but i just cannot get the refresh rate more than 144hz.
Every time i try to choose 200 or 240, the display switches off.

Same thing happens when i try to change the resolution to a lower one to test ( tried 1920x1440 , 1920x1200) the monitor goes dark in eco mode.

I thought it was the cable i was using, so i bought a brand new 1.4 thick DP cable but the issue is still there (mini DP to DP).
The cable i bought is : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B098QR3CYY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00

I am using this monitor with my laptop: Dell G5 15 5500 with Nvidia GTX 2060.

Could it be a limitation from the laptop or the GPU?

Any advise please? Should i return the monitor?

Lutfij

Titan
For your laptop, I'd try and make sure you're on the latest BIOS version. Following that make sure you're on the latest version of Windows 10. After that, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, use the latest found on Nvidia's support site and then manually reinstall said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

See if that helps you out. Not sure about the refresh rate but I'm sure you should be able to get display output at 1080p.