Review Alienware AW420K Review: Nothing Out of This World

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
I can sort of understand the high price, PBT keys are currently insanely expensive, but only cherry mx red is asbsolutely a bummer for anyone who'd like to use their PC for anything other than gaming.

Yikes. Not gonna lie, I've had a couple AW laptops over the years. Both were fine for what they were in regards to performance, but both just oozed with quality with regards to build. Nice, heavy alloy construction, good keyboard and big ass trackpads. One does pay a small premium for the brand and would hope to see that premium reflected in both build and performance. This board looks... meh. I agree with the author, for the price shown here I can buy a similarly built (no joke) white box board from Amazon and a set of "custom" PBT caps, and probably a whole set pre-lubed switches, not that these appear to be hot swappable. In fact, that's nearly what I did. After having several brand name boards that just disappointed over the years I ordered a Red Dragon wireless TKL with outemu browns and per key RGB, a set of Drop Skylight keycaps (double shot, PBT), a bag of O-rings, and a dumb dye sub spacebar with little cat paws all over it (FFXIV joke) for about 2/3rd the price. The board itself is just black ABS but looks about the same visually as this AW, but with the keycaps installed it pops just right. And having the switches I want, plus some o-rings to cushion the bottom out (I type like a child having a tantrum) I finally get the typing experience I've wanted and without paying ridiculous prices. I understand I'm not the target market (anymore) but sheesh Dell, c'mon. Entering a crowded, competitive market with....this? Better can be gotten for less, do yourselves a favour folks, give this one a skip.