Alienware graphics card

gardentreeface

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I have a alieanware m17x r3.
I had an amd hd 6990m card what came with the laptop but it died so I brought a new r9 x290m when I inserted the card the screen was black on start up so i reinstalled fresh windows with card removed (assuming it was driver issues) didn't work if If I plug the card in the display is black no beeps.. I tried to use hdmi but no signal I tried removing comos and completely starting from fresh but still black screen the card warms up like its working but nothing I'm completely stuck for options any help please

Solution
Without the video card in it does it boot to windows, or at least BIOS with the built in graphics? If so what BIOS are you using? I have found that using the updated BIOS -A12- has made this process easier and you can always downgrade to -A08- or something earlier at a later date. If you can boot into windows, download the appropriate drivers for the R9 series GPU but do not install. Re-Boot in safe mode and uninstall current drivers and delete them while doing so. The on-board graphics will use generic windows' drivers to function. Re-boot and go back into BIOS. Scroll to the advance tab and arrow down to high definition audio, hit enter and select "disable". Go to video configuration and arrow down to primary display, hit...

gardentreeface

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I already tried resetting the bios, I can't acess the bios when the card is inserted as the screen is black.. I have Evan tried hot plugging while in bios but then its not even read g the card is inserted

suteck

Distinguished
Without the video card in it does it boot to windows, or at least BIOS with the built in graphics? If so what BIOS are you using? I have found that using the updated BIOS -A12- has made this process easier and you can always downgrade to -A08- or something earlier at a later date. If you can boot into windows, download the appropriate drivers for the R9 series GPU but do not install. Re-Boot in safe mode and uninstall current drivers and delete them while doing so. The on-board graphics will use generic windows' drivers to function. Re-boot and go back into BIOS. Scroll to the advance tab and arrow down to high definition audio, hit enter and select "disable". Go to video configuration and arrow down to primary display, hit enter and select "PEG". Arrow down one more to Internal Graphic and hit enter then select "disable". Go to exit tab and select "save changes without exit" and of course, click "yes".

Turn off computer and remove old GPU in you haven't already, install new GPU.

Turn on computer and go in to BIOS. Check for new video card recognition. When found, Save and Exit. Boot into windows, check device manager for card recognition and install drivers. You might need to disable digital signature for driver install. When finished installing new drivers restart your Alienware and go in to BIOS. Go to the advance tab and re-enable HD audio. Save and Exit. Should be good to go!

Solution