Question Alienware Laptop issues ?

rdr1991

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2016
Evening all,

Have recently bought a Dell Alienware m17 R5 laptop and I'm having issues with gaming...

It appears the graphics card isn't being fully utilized, more the CPU.

When testing Cold War, Borderlands 3, Gears of War and Doom Eternal, regardless of the resolution, the GPU usage never goes above 27% and the CPU usage appears to be the same even at 720p/1080p with the lowest settings used.

The hardware is as follows:

6800h
3070ti
2x16GB ddr5 (was 2x8GB before I upgraded ram)
Koxia 512gb nvme SSD
WD 1tb nvme SSD
The display is a 165hz @1440x2560

I've tried testing on both windows 11 and windows 10, I've now gone back to windows 11 and it seems the problem is the same.

With that said, since installing windows 11 and the latest AMD drivers, the display kept flickering and came up with issues inside the AMD utility.

Can anyone explain how the Nvidia Optimus settings work ? I've tried fiddling with these settings and haven't noticed a difference.

Inside the bios there is also an option to enable hybrid graphics. I've tried this both enables and disabled for using the discrete GPU only but again have noticed no difference.

I've also tried installing both the desktop 3070ti driver and the notebook version but, I haven't noticed any difference ?

Thanks for any help with this issue.

If any extra specs are needed, just ask, I appreciate any help/answers, thanks

Lutfij

Titan
I've tried testing on both windows 11 and windows 10, I've now gone back to windows 11 and it seems the problem is the same.
Where did you source the installers for the OS? You should install the OS in offline mode and install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

2x16GB ddr5 (was 2x8GB before I upgraded ram)
Might want to pass on a link to the ram you're working with.

BIOS version for your laptop?