Review Alienware m17 R5 Review: Powerful All-AMD Alien

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
That battery life is a really good trade-off for that hit in performance. I've gamed on an airplane, and it sucks when the battery starts running out. I can't play the latest game after 2 hours on battery. My 180W power brick will not work on the seat plug (though a 65W Dell power brick does, so it does make my battery last longer)

If the smart switcher works on 2d games or light indie games, I would love it. Once the battery starts hitting 50% and if I could switch to a game that doesn't need as much GPU power, that means I can game longer.

AMD also has a feature called Radeon Chill, and if you have a 144 Hz monitor, if you go above 144 Hz, the GPU will start saving power. This was nice when I had an overheating GPU

Last edited:

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
the 6900HX is the best mobile CPU on the market due to it's power efficiency....pair it with a 3070ti and you have the most powerful but yet efficient combo on the market...and this is why I bought a Razer 14

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
This is an absolute value beast, and the AMD CPU/GPU version is an excellent candidate for those looking to dual-boot with Linux and not worry about distributions.

The keyboard is an icing on the cake honestly, and kudos to Dell/Alienware for this beast.

jgraham11

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Wow, I ususally stay away from Toms because of their bias towards Intel and Nvidia, (more-so Intel), but this product not only keeps up with the top competition in productivity and gamin. And is cheaper and lasts substantially longer on battery. IMO this is a clear win for AMD! Intel's node disadvantage is certainly showing when they have to work within a power budget!

May 9, 2022
I am greatly disappointed that the 240W PSU is needed to prevent the cpu clock to drop to 0.4GHz. It runs smooth on battery - but any small dell brick should be able to help the battery - or keep it running all day if one - god forbid - end up working with word and excel for a day :)