stevenmael

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
Alright lets get down to it, I have an Alienware M17x R3 from 2012, model number P11E, at first it started with a single key not wanting to work, then it spread to a bunch of keys not wanting to work, and others inputting the wrong letter, got to the point that you cant boot to windows with the keyboard connected to the board or else the laptop will beep eternally as if a key was being held down (tested this multiple times with an external keyboard while the internal one was disconnected).

An external USB keyboard works normally, and
ive uninstalled and reinstalled every driver i can think of that could even remotely be related to the keyboard,
as well as tried different BIOS versions to see if theres a problem there, but the problem persists.
Ive tried cycling capacitors, different operating systems, even buying a new internal keyboard and swapping it out (2 new ones actually),
ive swapped the keyboard to motherboard flex for a new one and the problem persists,
ive searched dozens of forums with similar issues and theyve all either been resolved with software/driver updates/re-installs or keyboard replacement,
ive tried everything to the point that im now checking the motherboard itself (correct motherboard schematic at hand)
for shorts or bad contacts that might be causing the problem (im still searching).

I want to get to the bottom of this, and i want to know if theres some help that someone out there can offer, or if someone out there with same experience managed to solve this issue and how. Any help, and i do mean any help is appreciated much. Thanks in advance, if further info is required on the machine just ask, hopefully a solution can be found and laid to rest in this forum for anyone else that might run into this issue.

stevenmael

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
No I mean to say follow what the Service manual do until you reach the keyboard connector and remove and clean with the pencil eraser on the keyboard connector and plug back in and try.
Should clarify that ive already tried this, as well as replaced the flex to which the keyboard connects to, and i also mentioned that i replaced the keyboard as well for the correct one (these keyboards come in different color coding and not just any color will work with any motherboard).

stevenmael

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
When i replaced the keyboard and the flex which the keyboard connects to, i made sure they where both compatible extensively before hand as they are expensive. Contacting Dell support is not an option for me either. If youre wondering what flex im talking about, search part number 9T3CX, my compatible keyboard model number is NSK-D8D01.