News Alienware Makes OLED 4K Gaming Dreams a 120 Hz Reality on Sept 30

Xenophage

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
How do you forego HDR support on an OLED? With that contrast ratio there's no excuse. HDR is supported on my much cheaper, larger LG OLED TV.

jacoro1

Honorable
Oct 5, 2017
How do you forego HDR support on an OLED? With that contrast ratio there's no excuse. HDR is supported on my much cheaper, larger LG OLED TV.
Yeah that's a confusing decision. I don't see how they are going to sell many of these. I'm using a 9 series LG OLED as well. They can be had for $1600 now, support HDR, and will switch to 1440p at 120hz for games quite nicely. As soon as the new Realtek DP to HDMI 2.1 adapters or GPUs with HDMI 2.1 support are available it will do 4k at 120hz also.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I think they might have went with 400 nits in order to prevent burn in. A monitor is probably going to have a static screen for hours every day

knekker

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
2 important questions:
1. I see no mention of supporting sRGB colorspace, if not that will display most websites which contains jpg pictures, make the colors look wierd.

2. why only support display port 1.2, is that enough bandwith to support 10 bit uncompressed colors at 4:4:4? I don't want compressed innacurate colors for this price tag.

Last edited:

tharkis842

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Uhhm..why not just buy the newer LG C9 series tv instead? HDR, 120hz, hdmi 2.1 support..sure VRR is a bit iffy, but the LG is also like..$1600 on sale, and available now. Also, if you don't have a soundbar/audio setup, the sound on these tv's is pretty decent.

lilkwarrior

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
The management that decided to make the decisions associated with the monitor failed the use of the OLED monitor.

I'm pretty certain they have no clue or misconstrued what a prospective buyer of such a monitor actually wants or had abysmal competitive analysis sessions to forgo both HDR & HDMI 2.1. No HDR & HDMI 2.1 when prospective buyers would compare this monitor & LG's 2019 OLED HDMI 2.1 4K@120hz Dolby Vision HD4 TVs was inexcusable—especially when you're asking almost triple (2.6) times more money than those devices.

Xbox One X—as well as the publicly disclosed capabilities of both Microsoft's & Sony's next gen consoles (4K@120hz)—& the best-selling OLED TVs in 2019 leverages HDMI 2.1. Accordingly, for a product oriented for gamers, it was questionable for them to drop HDMI 2.1 w/o at minimum VRR, QuickSync, Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), & arguably eArc.

Furthermore, forgoing G-Sync was also a crucial error on their part; an overwhelming majority of gamers who have GPUs powerful enough to leverage this monitors capabilities are Nvidia users. Therefore, it should have been discovered during the market analysis phase to have G-Sync compatibility.

Overall, it seems management or the staff allocated to this product failed to make most of the investment in resources management provided them to realize a product a majority of the audience for the product will not want vs. what promise it had before.

It has a hard time being justifiable over waiting till next year or enthusiasts repurposing a LG C9 for their big screen PC gaming needs for 2.6 times cheaper.

lilkwarrior

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
2 important questions:
1. I see no mention of supporting sRGB colorspace, if not that will display most websites which contains jpg pictures, make the colors look wierd.

2. why only support display port 1.2, is that enough bandwith to support 10 bit uncompressed colors at 4:4:4? I don't want compressed innacurate colors for this price tag.
Dell confirmed they made a typo; this monitor has DisplayPort 1.4

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I don't think Adaptive sync is necessary for OLED. The screens are capable of a 0.001ms refresh rate. It's mostly limited to the cable and post processing by the tv.