[SOLVED] Alienware OC question. Please help.

Dec 16, 2018
I recently bought a Alienware Aurora R7, which contains:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5K-8600K (6-Core, 9MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz across all cores)
Radeon 580 RX 8gb
1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s
850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
16GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel

I'm new to OC'ing, but I got the this K version so I can overclock my first CPU. However, I'm utterly confused.

Without ANY overclocking, CPU-Z and Task Manager is saying my core speed is at 4.8ghz, which is much greater than the stock 3.6. Why if I didn't do anything? Did it already come overclocked to 4.8 by default?

Also, when I go to the Alienware Control Center and turn on OC Stage 1 (4.4ghz) or OC Stage 2 (4.6ghz), my core speed goes down from 4.8 to whatever the speed of the OC Stage is set. Basically when I OC throught the Alienware OC software my clock speed goes down. If I select OC Stage 1 it goes down from 4.8 to 4.4ghz. What am I missing here?

So did my CPU already came overclocked @ 4.8 ? Are these two Alienware pre-set OC stages useless? By the way my temperatures are good, under 40c while idle and doesn't go over 70c while gaming

Solution
In which case it sounds like they have overclocked it to sell accordingly.

Depending on the game's reliance on IPC it may be worth trying to increase the overclock. This does depend on whether the system meets your current needs and the quality of the silicon for the CPU itself. Keep a close eye on the heat and voltage if you choose to overclock, and also whether the cooler for it can handle more heat.
Any idea what the motherboard model is? There was news that some motherboards were configured to automatically boost the CPU. I believe it's dubbed MCE. I think it's unlikely an Alienware branded PC would be overclocked (though could be wrong).

More importantly is whether you are experiencing any problems. If not then I'd be tempted to leave it.

Dec 16, 2018

motherboard is an Alienware 0VDT73, coffee lake z370

the title of the CPU on the receipt says "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5K-8600K (6-Core, 9MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.4GHz across all cores)" which could maybe means it comes already overclocked at 4.4, howevever mine is OC'ed to 4.8. The CPU ratio option on my bios says 48.

I have experienced 0 problems so far and the system is not getting hot at all. is it even worth OC'ing from 4.8 to 5.0 ? All I do is play games on this PC.

In which case it sounds like they have overclocked it to sell accordingly.

Depending on the game's reliance on IPC it may be worth trying to increase the overclock. This does depend on whether the system meets your current needs and the quality of the silicon for the CPU itself. Keep a close eye on the heat and voltage if you choose to overclock, and also whether the cooler for it can handle more heat.

Solution