Alienware Plans to Release New Steam Machine Every Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Well have fun wasting money on so many revisions. Steam Machines won't get great sales until they sell somewhat at a loss. Using resources to make new configurations and updates every year will be a waste of money compared to the people who buy it. Alienware needs to know there are other Steam Machine vendors that others may like more.

rad666

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Let's face it, there are still a lot of console peasants out there that believe the "you must upgrade your gaming PC every year" lie. In the face of that farce, this isn't surprising.

"Proud member of the PC gaming Master Race since...ever."

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
The specifically state the x51 will be a steam machine as well. And is perfectly up-gradable. With this pc using laptop parts it's no surprise that it can't be upgraded. The benefit is that they can make something much smaller than the x51.

That makes no sense. A processor, memory kit, motherboard, power supply will all last three to five years without any issues as long as hardware does not fail. How ridiculous if you cannot upgrade a graphics card or add or update hard drives.That is a waste of resources to now allow upgrades.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I dont think they intend for you to upgrade to a new steam box every year (tho im sure they would like it if you would).
I think the point is to keep a continual rolling update each year on the machine. Its not going to be a like a console where the hardware is locked for 6 years.

Its just so ppl buying a steam box in say, year 3 dont have the same hardware as folks from year 1, because that would suck. Its still gonna last you 4-5 years from the date you buy it.

The real issue is, no one is going to buy one, until steam os can play most of steams back catalog of games. Which will be never. So its a fail lol

FFH

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
I don't see the appeal in steam machines. For that price, I could make a mini-itx build with windows. Even a cheap build would be more useful because it would be able to play games that weren't just on steam, and could play video files.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
I don't see the appeal in steam machines. For that price, I could make a mini-itx build with windows. Even a cheap build would be more useful because it would be able to play games that weren't just on steam, and could play video files.
Nothing stops other game platforms from moving to Linux, Desura is already one, and the Humble store has Ubuntu integration.I don't know what the big deal is, how often do you selectively upgrade parts in your rig besides adding hard drives? They probably used a single custom pcb with soldered on cpu / gpu / memory to get a smaller profile. There are just physical limits to mitx + up to 12" long pcie gpus that restrict how small you can make the package while still carrying discrete class hardware.I imagine they will be using standard hard drives though, so you would almost certainly be able to at least replace the one they give you if they don't add any hard drive expandability.If the price is right, it will do fine. Is the ability to replace the gpu worth $100? $50? Or is it worth 20% less framerate at the same price point?

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Chill out people they are not saying you need to buy new every year. They'll be upgrading the range every year.... so someone getting it in 2015 can have 2015 hardware inside. Are most of you sheeps that buy whenever they see new gen released?

facevalue

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
You guys need to calm down. You don't HAVE to purchase a new one every year, it's just an option. Christ, you're making it sound like you have no control over your wallets.

Phillip Wager

Honorable
May 30, 2013
i dont see this as Alienware not having a clue i think Alienware just know's its customer base and knows that most of their customers wont upgrade their equipment anyway and the few that might want to likely wont buy from Alienware in the first place. I am still skeptical on the steam os other than for people who refuse to buy windows but you are still limited to steam's library which while vast still limits you from a lot of other games that are not available on steam. Is the steam OS supposed to offer a performance boost or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS