[SOLVED] Alienware Power supply ATX connector

digeythedog

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
Hey guys,
So I just bought a new Dell 850w PSUas I'm planning on upgrading my PSU so it allows me to also get a better GPU, and I need help buying cables for it as I am really confused...

Here is a picture of the PSU connections:
Alienware PSU

I am very confused about what cables I would need to get to connect my PSU to my PC? I keep finding a 24-pin ATX but cannot find 6pin at all. If someone could help me that would be awesome!

Solution
Ok, here's what you gotta do:
-ditch the PC case, and you will have a lot more flexibility with what you want to do. While these Dell prebuilts can be found on the cheap, they can be a nightmare to upgrade, and can end up costing a surprising amount of money.
-You don't need 850w for a 2080Ti even. The official recommendation is just 650w.
-The motherboard is custom made for Dell, so it won't fit the standard mounts in other cases, and that likely goes for cpu cooler mounts as well.

If you can do the 1st and 3rd steps, you will have basically eliminated all the headaches this thing is/will eventually give you.

If you can get your money back, get a used H270 motherboard...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So the psu didn't come with it's own cables???
This is a serious problem, as you can't just use any mb, cpu, and pcie cables - you will kill your PC doing that.
If you can not get a hold of proprietary Dell psu cables for that unit, do not attempt to use anything else.

You'd have been better off with a good EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic psu anyways.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

digeythedog

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
So the psu didn't come with it's own cables???
This is a serious problem, as you can't just use any mb, cpu, and pcie cables - you will kill your PC doing that.
If you can not get a hold of proprietary Dell psu cables for that unit, do not attempt to use anything else.

You'd have been better off with a good EVGA, Corsair, or Seasonic psu anyways.
They sent me a PSU and that was all for $237.... an insane price... The way they have their computers set up, for the most part, you have to use one of there PSU's. It was an issue I was unaware of until after buying the PC.... As my PC came with 460W PSU.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
$237?! And they didn't even give you any cables?!
Was that the cost through international shipping, or something?

I would just return that and get your money back. That makes not a lick of sense to pay that much for a psu and not get cables... again, you really can't just go any buy any brand of cables, it's too risky.
While I don't know what you intend to power with 850w, I do know a good 850w unit could be had for over half that price, and it would've come with the cables.

Please tell me you are able to return it and get your money back? Is there some particular reason it had to be a Dell psu?

digeythedog

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
$237?! And they didn't even give you any cables?!
Was that the cost through international shipping, or something?

I would just return that and get your money back. That makes not a lick of sense to pay that much for a psu and not get cables... again, you really can't just go any buy any brand of cables, it's too risky.
While I don't know what you intend to power with 850w, I do know a good 850w unit could be had for over half that price, and it would've come with the cables.

Please tell me you are able to return it and get your money back? Is there some particular reason it had to be a Dell psu?
I know trust me I really didn't want to buy it... However, I needed the 850w because thinking about RTX 2080 possibly 2080TI.

The reason it has to be Dell is that they have the PSU stuck inside a little "case" inside the case and it severely limits the space you could use for a PSU. Why did the PSU come with no cables? Your guess is as good as mine... It's becoming a headache to upgrade... My system is the Alienware Aurora R6.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, here's what you gotta do:
-ditch the PC case, and you will have a lot more flexibility with what you want to do. While these Dell prebuilts can be found on the cheap, they can be a nightmare to upgrade, and can end up costing a surprising amount of money.
-You don't need 850w for a 2080Ti even. The official recommendation is just 650w.
-The motherboard is custom made for Dell, so it won't fit the standard mounts in other cases, and that likely goes for cpu cooler mounts as well.

If you can do the 1st and 3rd steps, you will have basically eliminated all the headaches this thing is/will eventually give you.

If you can get your money back, get a used H270 motherboard: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=h270+motherboard&_sacat=0&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&LH_RPA=1
and this:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $160.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-05 20:57 EDT-0400

And all for about the same as that ridiculous power supply.

Those custom cases and motherboards are some of the ways the prebuilt suppliers screw their customers over - by forcing you to buy a brand new PC from them instead of being able to change parts as needed with a standard case.

Solution