Alienware x51: I´m going to buy it, Why shouldn´t I do it?

salomaoabdala

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I´m that guy who wants to buy the alienware. Just to explain my situation: I have a shitty pc, and I need a new one for editing videos(principal reason) and playing games(2nd reason-,beause I´m buying the ps4 for games later, but I still wanna play games on pc like skyim,grid 2,dirt 3 and some FPS) I live in Brazil and everything eletronic is so fucking expensive here, so I´m going to buy a new pc in the US , that´s why I need a super smaal pc ( I cant bring a normal one because of the tax that I´ll be paying and the transportation of the pc)my thought are: I dont need the BEST pc in the world, I just want a pc that is a killer on sony vegas(editing videos) and I can play games like Dirt 3,grid 2 ,skyrim and battlefield 4 on high graphics getting a decent frame per second ( dont need to be nothing more than 60s because I´m a console player and dont see that much difference). I did pretty much liked the alienware x51(the one with intel i7-4770,16gb RAM,2tb HDD,240gb SSD and Nvidia gtx670)because I think a pc with all those specs is a BEAST, srlsy in my opinion, rendering on this pc must be so exciting and fast( this is my opinion, if u think different , explain me why, I´m not so much of an expert when it comes to pc specs, but I do know a lot of things). I tried building one (without considering the size of it, with a mid tower case) and almost the same specs with plus 32gb RAM and nvidia gtx 770 and the price goes over 2000, so in my opinion, this alienware is not so much overpriced,in fact is a great bundle. can U give me your advice ? thanks!!

Solution
You said you want to import because things in your country are expensive yet you want to import an over priced expensive item...

Seriously?

Secondly shipping tax does not concern itself with size as long as it is relative a medium tower will still be a medium tower even if it is an inch shorter but 2 inches longer... It's about weight really... they charge you/ Kg

From all the money you would be saving by rather buying the same spec pc components in a regular pc case you could just pay some people there to assemble it (allot of stores do that before they ship it out)

That way you also ensure you can have the best possible component combination not what they decide works best under their budget (for example they might have the...
Alienware is going to cheap out on the components they don't go into detail about: RAM, motherboard, psu, hdd, etc. I can't really comment on the prices in your country, but there is a reason no one recommends them here. Do you have a website you could buy the stuff from there? We could come up with a build and compare prices for you that way.

Ghostface161994

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
3 words: WORST DECESION EVER !

1. Transporting it from US to Brazil , even thru logistics , there is a slight chance it may damage ur components.

2.The MAIN reason u shouldnt is because the warranty wont be valid,
so if any one of ur components get screwed , u have to buy a new one , and chances are it may happen during shipping.

3.Main reason people choose alienware over a custom PC build is bcoz the service of DELL is good. anything wrong with the PC , they take care of it ASAP. Otherwise , Alienware is just an overpriced Custom pc build

But if the warranty is still valid in ur country , then u may go ahead with it :)

salomaoabdala

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
I have a cousin who lives in the US,the alienware x51 comes with 16gb RAM, i7-4770,nvidia gtx 670, 2tb HDD,240gb SSD and it costs 1500 dollars, and it´s FREANKING SMALL, it´s almost an xbox 360, I need A small pc
to bring it to brazil( I´m going to US in january) and if you could come up with a build that will atend my needs, as you can read they dont require a hardcore pc gaming( and I think the x51 will aten my needs, if u think different let me know why) and its not so much more than the alienware x51 I would be gratefull!

salomaoabdala

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

I´m going to bring it myself( I´m going to a trip to US in January ) and the warranty is valid here and U didnt answer my previous questions haha ;) but thx

salomaoabdala

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
what big difference does it make?U guys still didnt told me why shoulnd buy the alienware since it´s a great and SMALL PC( I need a small pc, and didnt find any who could compete with it!) and has awesome specs

salomaoabdala

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

The alienware is going to cost 1500 dollars, can U build a pc with the same specs but cheaper? And what is the best pc for editing video and gaming you could build from under 1750 dollars?

I can only give one reason I wouldn't consider that computer, the exact reason you want it... it's small. It uses an external 330W power brick which cannot be upgraded (unlike a regular PC PSU). Trying to find upgrades for it is near impossible due to the small form factor (sans ram, and CPU).
I'm not against Alienware but I personally find few redeeming qualities in that particular model series

salomaoabdala

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

I'm not considering to buy a pc already thinking on upgrading them!! I want to buy a PC with awesome specs,that I wont need to upgrade for a long time, do u think this alienware has awesome specs?

For current use I think the specs are very good (not awesome though) and I don't think you would worry about upgrading for a few years. BUT I don't think you're purchasing it to watch it become obsolete (no telling what the future will bring) which is why I always consider upgradeability when looking to buy (or build)

You said you want to import because things in your country are expensive yet you want to import an over priced expensive item...

Seriously?

Secondly shipping tax does not concern itself with size as long as it is relative a medium tower will still be a medium tower even if it is an inch shorter but 2 inches longer... It's about weight really... they charge you/ Kg

From all the money you would be saving by rather buying the same spec pc components in a regular pc case you could just pay some people there to assemble it (allot of stores do that before they ship it out)

That way you also ensure you can have the best possible component combination not what they decide works best under their budget (for example they might have the latest CPU but the Graphics card combo for that CPu might not be the ideal choice).

Would you buy an Apple Macbook Pro just because you need a laptop or would you actually buy an ultrabook with better specs for nearly half the price? If you said yes I would then perhaps the Alienware is for you, just remember Dell doesn't care about Alienware, you or anyone else for that matter...

Alienware was good a long long time ago.

Steer clear of them if you can, even their peripherals are cheap.

I played BF4 beta on them over the weekend and I must say they feel really cheap.

You asked the other guy does he think that pc has awesome specs, well if I may answer the answer is NO it does not.

It has 1 or 2 good components, but as a whole it is garbage, 670 for a new pc really? How is that awesome? You would need to upgrade again in January.

Please heed my warning & that of all the other guys who posted here and rather just get a new pc and let them assemble it for you.

Get the following instead:

i7 4770K Overclocked to 4.6GHz (the k series can be overclocked)
8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM (Corsair Vengeance)
at least a 1Terabyte HDD
a 128GB SSD for programs and to load O.S on (Windows 7 x64bit)
GTX 780
Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler
Corsair 600-800W PSU GS if you just want one and HX if you want 1 meant for gaming
MSI Z87-GD65 Mobo

alternatively take the:
AMD FX 8350
with a MSI 970A-G4 mobo

Solution

salomaoabdala

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013

Thx for the advice bro! NO, I would never buy an apple macbook first: they are fucking expensive. Second: I HATE their OS.
Ireally need a small pc, because if I can get a Pc that fits in my backpack, I would be able to pass thrught the customhouse without paying ANY taxes! Thats why I need a small pc.
When I say things in my country are expensive, I mean that an 1500$ alienware x51 costs more than 4000dollars in here. That's one of the reasons I wanna buy them! Because when they get obsolete I could sell them for some sereously money and buy a nem gaming pc with awesome specs. Now of U think I'm buying a pc that will be obsolete right out of the box because it cant be used for editing videos and playing BF4, gta5 and crysis 3 then I'm not buying it