Alienware x51 to New Case. Would this work?

Nov 12, 2018
Right now I have an Alienware x51 with an i7-3770, Nvidia Geforce GTX660, 16 Gbs of RAM, 1tb hard drive, and running on Windows 8. I've had this PC for a pretty long time now and I definitely think its time for an upgrade. I don't want to spend too much money and I want to keep the CPU I have now. I want to put this PC into a new case so I can have more room, air flow, and upgrade the GPU but the way the Alienware is built makes that a lot more difficult. What I am thinking of doing is ordering a new motherboard, case, cpu cooler, gpu, and power supply.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3jW8mq

My questions:

Just because PCpartpicker says everything will work together is that 100% accurate?

Would I be able to just install these new parts without losing any data if I'm using the same Hard Drive?

Does this motherboard support the RGB fans in the front of this case?

I'm not 100% on the motherboard, power supply, and case, so any other suggestions would be very helpful.

I'm also trying to keep the budget lower than $550 if I can.

Solution
It really doesn't matter. Only exception would be if you happen to have small animals, mice usually, that might want to crawl inside the warm computer. They can even fit through empty expansion slots.

Basically, spend what you can on a GPU now. That way, when you do eventually go to upgrade the CPU you'll have a decent GPU to pair with it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Eh, seems a waste honestly. If you are keeping the CPU and RAM, might as well take the motherboard with you. And the case will take a standard 10.5" reference card.

I say spend the money on a GTX1060 or GTX1070.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xbL7YJ/pny-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-cg-video-card-vcggtx10606pb-cg

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nk98TW/msi-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-video-card-gtx-1070-aero-8g-oc

But if you want to swap it over, you can just use the motherboard as well. You can get some fairly nice Mini-ITX and Micro ATX cases that take large GPUs without having to swap in a new motherboard.

On the power supply, you don't need 700W, get a quality 550W-620W Corsair, Seasonic, or EVGA gold rated supply instead. Rosewill is newegg's house brand, so quality only average.

Nov 12, 2018

Thanks for replying, one reason I wanted to get a new motherboard was because the one in my PC right now is some type of Dell motherboard or something, if I put it into a new case it won't have an IO shield because it is embedded into the Alienware case. Would not having an IO shield matter?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It really doesn't matter. Only exception would be if you happen to have small animals, mice usually, that might want to crawl inside the warm computer. They can even fit through empty expansion slots.

Basically, spend what you can on a GPU now. That way, when you do eventually go to upgrade the CPU you'll have a decent GPU to pair with it.

Solution
Nov 12, 2018

Okay thanks, I'll definitely take your advice!