Alienware's M11x Gets Core CPUs and Optimus

Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
gaming on laptops? 10 years of it and it's still a joke... if you want to game, get a PC or a console (sorry, but PC's aren't worth the yearly 400 GPU upgrades)

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here... why would anyone spend that much money for a 'gaming laptop' that's underpowered and the same price as a PC that would do twice as good as it? I can guarantee you that my little AMD Dragon box would stomp that thing down, and it was $1,110.07 exactly. I don't get what people see in these things. Battery life? Portability? Power? With the kind of 'power' they're putting in it, in laptop terms, they'd better have one heck of a battery to get a decent life out of it. And I wonder how much these weigh?
Sometimes I just don't understand people...

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
For one thing anti you don't need to upgrade you gpu every year. Not even close.. Another thing I got a Asus x-1 laptop and it runs all games fine, and will for quiet awhile. There are reasons to get gaming laptops. I'm sorry I'm not carrying my desktop around with me durning TDY, and deployments.

Now if I wasn't in the military, and didn't go on trips a lot. Then ya desktops is where it's at. Of course I'd still never buy an overpriced alienware.. The paint job just isn't that important to me.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I don't understand why people are so quick to put down gaming laptops and tout the greatness of their PC. Some of us actually get out of the house once in a while and my CM Stacker, monitor, and keyboard/mouse sure don't fit in my briefcase. This is not meant as a desktop replacement, and there are plenty of 17" 9+ pound laptops I'd never want to carry on a plane. I can even take the M11x into a client meeting and not look like a total gamer, as long as I remember to turn the LED lighting off first.

rklein03

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]scione[/nom]Its just alienware, all of their stuff is way overpriced anyways.[/citation]

No it's not Alienware, its DELL. Not only is everything completely overpriced, it's made by a company that can't get anything right. Did you not see the Dell marketing ad that said you need a quad core to multitask email and web browsing... Once upon a time Alienware RIP.

antemon

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
you guys are missing the point here

it's an 11-inch netbook

me I see it as something I can lug around campus (when the Optimus option is there) and then head back to the dorm and do some gaming... sure I'll buy an external monitor, but it beats having to buy two computers

G

[citation][nom]antemon[/nom]you guys are missing the point hereit's an 11-inch netbookme I see it as something I can lug around campus (when the Optimus option is there) and then head back to the dorm and do some gaming... sure I'll buy an external monitor, but it beats having to buy two computers[/citation]

antemon you are so right. it's an awesome machine and i'd buy one and run linux on it now. if i was not waiting for apple to update the pro 13 inch to core i or something better than C2D.

G

And just because a machine is called gaming that does not mean it's for gaming only. it means it's just bad ass aka better performance.

nusgo

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]SomeGuyNamedMatt[/nom]I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here... why would anyone spend that much money for a 'gaming laptop' that's underpowered and the same price as a PC that would do twice as good as it? I can guarantee you that my little AMD Dragon box would stomp that thing down, and it was $1,110.07 exactly. I don't get what people see in these things. Battery life? Portability? Power? With the kind of 'power' they're putting in it, in laptop terms, they'd better have one heck of a battery to get a decent life out of it. And I wonder how much these weigh?Sometimes I just don't understand people...[/citation]

I can tell you why I bought one CULV @ 800 dllrs:

It gives me 7-10 hours on simple usage, I do every kind of work with it, the CPU is supposedly slow, but it´s not noticeable, i do AutoCAD, office and the basic stuff, and come from a AM2 3.2 GHZ and can´t tell a major difference. And the Big Plus is You CAN play games with it, I play PES 2010, SFIV and Just Cause 2, and It plays those games very good.

Of course with that money I could have bought a laptop wit core i3 and Blueray integrated, but they all come with Intel HD and can´t play sh!t, and the battery life is not even the half I get with my beloved CULV

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
these are more like desktop replacements, I can see the apeal, rather than having to put your info on a usb stick and take it home to another computer, you can take your laptop/Desktop replacement home

nusgo

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
If you want battery life for all day at school or wherever, CULVs are the way to go, The advantages of a laptop with the advantages of a netbook.

It´s the perfect combination of both worlds

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
To those that wonder y ppl spend 800+ on a labtop for gaming.
Well not speaking for all, but i needed a labtop for school, so i said to myself... buy a cheap SLOW POS labtop, that cant game, and is suitable for school, but still annoys me with it being slow for CADD ect.

Or add on a lousy 300$ and have a decent labtop that is fairly quick and gives me the option to say
1) play games if im replacing a broken part on my desktop,
2) go see friends/family that are a ways away and not have to lug a monster desktop and monitor around to work/game.

Around 99% of my gaming time is on my desktop, the labtop is my convenience item.( i want it to atleast tolerate the programs my desktop runs with ease)

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
ok PC ppl, take a core i7, 8 gig of ram, big, fast hdd, fairly respectable GPU, screen, keyboard, a great array of IO ports, and YOU try and cram it in the space the x11 takes up!! wtf is it with these people who seem to think their is NO market for people who like to play games, but also like to move around from time to time... some of us did learn to walk as children.

simple fact is, its a respectable Alienware laptop, with near desktop replacement specs in an ultraportable form factor!!! AND despite all this, its even reasonably priced! in fact, considering all that, I would dare say its cheap!

[citation][nom]SomeGuyNamedMatt[/nom]I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here... why would anyone spend that much money for a 'gaming laptop' that's underpowered and the same price as a PC that would do twice as good as it? I can guarantee you that my little AMD Dragon box would stomp that thing down, and it was $1,110.07 exactly. I don't get what people see in these things. Battery life? Portability? Power? With the kind of 'power' they're putting in it, in laptop terms, they'd better have one heck of a battery to get a decent life out of it. And I wonder how much these weigh?Sometimes I just don't understand people...[/citation]

They weigh 5 pounds. They game well enough for that size screen. And they can go 7 hrs idle, 5 surfing, and well over 3 hrs gaming and watching movies. You might want to do a little research...

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
No doubt Alienware m11x look sexy to me, 11inch It just so right to me, small and light but still 1,599USD + Tax ( 9.75 California ) for a i7-640m, 8G RAM, 500HDD, still a GT335M graphics card - I will said that is too much ~ ( possible for them to squeeze a HD5870 inside ? haha XD )

Probably the 1,755 USD is for the "Small" thingy not go for "Power"

ipp

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Well upgrading the hard drive or memory is likely to be a rip off - just buy your own and install. Everyone knows that.

$1100 or so out the door for a powerful SMALL laptop is pretty awesome. Not sure of the hate around here. It is plenty to play wow and or any older game, or even sc2. Just get an external monitor/kb/mouse/speakers and you have a nice little gaming setup that should last years.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]miloo[/nom]No doubt Alienware m11x look sexy to me, 11inch It just so right to me, small and light but still 1,599USD + Tax ( 9.75 California ) for a i7-640m, 8G RAM, 500HDD, still a GT335M graphics card - I will said that is too much ~ ( possible for them to squeeze a HD5870 inside ? haha XD )Probably the 1,755 USD is for the "Small" thingy not go for "Power"[/citation]

I'm sorry but if you cant spell correctly, or us grammar correctly, please don't annoy everybody else by posting comments that we have to decipher.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]ipp[/nom]Well upgrading the hard drive or memory is likely to be a rip off - just buy your own and install. Everyone knows that.$1100 or so out the door for a powerful SMALL laptop is pretty awesome. Not sure of the hate around here. It is plenty to play wow and or any older game, or even sc2. Just get an external monitor/kb/mouse/speakers and you have a nice little gaming setup that should last years.[/citation]

Thank you. I don't know what is up with all the hate about this laptop around here. It is definitely NOT overpriced for what it is and for what it does. Find me a sub 13 incher that has that much power (Don't forget the GT 335M, even the VAIO Z has a 330M) for a similar price!

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kostya001[/nom]alienware, made by dell, meaning its overpriced. And it is, i actually did some research.[/citation]

Yes its owned by Dell, but before match 2006 it wasn't and at that time they still overpriced all their computers it wasn't just dell that started the over pricing.

Although at this price point for the included specs really isn't a bad deal. I wouldn't classify the M11X as the typical overpriced alienware product.

techsterr

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
When the m11x first came I was excited about the overall concept but I was reluctant to buy because of the SU7300. I mean come on, the technology is old! Its embarrassing. I feel bad for those who couldn't wait. Come on this is Alienware not the inspiron 11z. The $949.00 configuration is a insult to those who are almost enthusiasts. I mean who is dell marketing this thing too.

Although the Su7300 processor has only been out a year, and the m11x out a couple of months. It was a bad move to release the m11x after the release of the Core i3/i5 line and on the heals of Intels next gen. Core i5-520UM. Optimus, more threads and turboboost are a huge plus. As for a sub $1000 mini gamer, Almost but know cigar!

Why? Dell needs to loose the 5400rpm 160gb. Its a Bottlenecker or I should say a rubbernecker in traffic waiting to enter the autobahn at highspeed. Dell needs to cut the crappy 160gb 5400rpm and 2GB of ram, PLEASE!! 4GB ram and a 250gb 7200rpm should be the default.

The idea minimum setup: i5, 4gb ram, 250gb hd = $1049

My build of choice: Core i7-640UM, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200rpm hd, = $1299

Verdict: Would I buy. Nope. I would wait until after the Fall for a better configuration as I mentioned above or a new gpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.