News AliExpress GPU Backplate Coolers Tested, Mostly Useless

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does anyone know if they used TIM, of any kind? Just curious.

I think a simple measurement of backplate temperatures should be the first clue as to whether better cooling could be worthwhile.

i used to have backplate cooling on geforce 7800GS AGP (tiny 1 slot cooler), stock cooler wasnt keeping up, so i glued cpu cooler on it (no tim, just glued it on gpu cooler screws behind gpu core xD), it reduced temperature by 10C and let me voltmod it for better overclock :)

Reactions: ezst036

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
so i glued cpu cooler on it (no tim, just glued it on gpu cooler screws behind gpu core xD),
OMG, what type of glue? Did you know they make adhesive TIM tape? I don't think it's particularly good, but probably better than any glue not expressly designed for the purpose.

I've used regular heatsink compound on loose heatsinks that I know will remain level (e.g. Raspberry Pi, DVD player, etc.), and it's been fine.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Does anyone know if they used TIM, of any kind? Just curious.
They used the pad included with the things.

If you want the best cooling for the PCB back-side though, the best option is to rip the backplate off and have a fan blow air across the bare PCB: the SMDs have more total surface area than what the thermal pads can touch and you eliminate the thick thermal pads' relatively high thermal resistance altogether.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
but hdds used to be placed in dead spot with no airflow in case and high heat reduces lifespan of hdd
I had a 4 TB 7.2k RPM HDD reach like 58 or 59 C, sitting in open air. I was transferring the contents of a RAID from one set of drives to another (old -> new), and so I didn't have anywhere to put all of the new drives. The operating conditions were specified as < 60 C. If I had gone above that, I wouldn't have been able to make a warranty claim when the drive later encountered uncorrectible errors.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
i used to have backplate cooling on geforce 7800GS AGP (tiny 1 slot cooler), stock cooler wasnt keeping up, so i glued cpu cooler on it (no tim, just glued it on gpu cooler screws behind gpu core xD), it reduced temperature by 10C and let me voltmod it for better overclock :)

This.

It seems like Der8auer made a huge mistake in testing these backplate coolers on video cards with really good factory cooling solutions. It wouldn't have been all that much better of a test to try with a backplate cooler on a card that was adequately liquid cooled. Testing a backplate cooler on something cooled with LN2 would've been equally as useless.

Amdlova

Distinguished
My old 3770k have placed a thermal pad on back side of motherboard board, try are made from aluminium... have a generously space glued a heatsik with heatsink bond... drooped 10°c of motherboard and five from cpu. Almost nine degree with this mod and lapped cpu. :) 5ghz with 40°c ambient Temps :) old times