Question All 3 monitors go black at the same time, about 3-5 min after logging in to Win10 ? *Updated with hardware specs and sample from reliability history*

Jun 12, 2021
Hi! For a few weeks ago, all my 3 monitors went black just out of nowhere. Since the first time this problem occured, the problem kept repeating, but now its no longer occasional. It happens every time i log into win 10, after about 3-5 minutes. Restarting does not fix the problem, but turning the power on and off does. I also run mint19 alongside win 10 in dual boot. This problem never occurs when booted up in mint. Two of the screens are standard computer screens and are connected with DVI cables. The third screen is a TV, connected with HDMI cable. The sound is via HDMI to the TV, so when all screens go black, the sound also stops.

Hardware specs:
Processor: Intel© Core™ i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz × 4
RAM: Corsair Vengance 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CL16, XMP 2.0, sort
GPU: ATI Radeon R9 390 8GB VRAM
MB: Z170A PC MATE (MS-7971)
Primary HDD: Kingston SV300S37A240G SSD
Secondary HDD: WD3003FZEX 3TB SATA
PSU: Corsair CX600M 600W, age: 5 1/2 years

Cpu core temps usually around 39-42, never seen above 45.
MB temp (same as above)

Main usage of computer has been for programming, downloading / watching tv-series and movies, and streaming.

I have tried the following, without luck:
  • System restore in win10
  • Win key + CTRL + SHIFT + B
  • Updating / rolling back display driver. The button for rollback was grey, as if I dont have the option to roll back. When trying to update the display driver, the response was that I had the newest one installed.
At first I thought it was reasonable to believe that this is a PSU issue, but at the same time it doesent make any sense that it would never happen when booting up in mint19, only win10.

Sample from reliability log below. The error below always comes in pair with an unexpected shutdown error, which is me turning the power off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffdb8ec7372460
Parameter 2: fffff8025058a030
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 4
OS version: 10_0_19041
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing or even mining?

Look in Window 10's Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some error that leads to the monitors going black.

Overall, I would not rule out the PSU. Power requirements can and do vary. First by individual components (GPU) or in total across the entire system.

Could just be some small threshold difference between Mint and Windows.

Okay at Wattage = X (Mint) but Wattage = X+1 (Windows) causes a problem. May be overheating at X+1. Just takes that 3 -5 minutes to heat up.