[SOLVED] All 4 of my HDD's have failed within 2 days of each other

ricleo2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have 3 WD 3.5 drives and one Seagate that have all failed within 2 days of each other. They do not power up, they are dead in the water. My 1000 watt power supply is 12 years old. I am thinking that might be the culprit. Although I tested the sata cables and power cables on a new blu ray burner just fine. All drives are under warranty, but WD says electrical overcharge is not covered. Does this sound like an electrical overcharge to y'all? Thanks for any and all responses.

ricleo2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First thought is PSU failed. Second is the motherboard is. You ought to test the hard drives in an external enclosure with another PC. Can't say more as you've provided little in the way of details about your specs.
Thanks for the reply. I have tested the drives on another computer with the same results. Do you think I should replace the PSU before the motherboard?

ricleo2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Probably. We already know it's extremely old, it may also be a poor quality one anyway (again, it's hard to say because you haven't provided these kinds of details).
I am at work and my PC is at home. But I know the PSU is an EVGA brand. The MB is an ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming installed in 2017. Thanks again.