All About Bitcoin Mining: Road To Riches Or Fool's Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does mining new coins make sense if there will ever only be 21 million? I am so confused by that point.
Another thing is, with an economic system like this, a billionaire can easily manipulate market prices and make extremely large amount of money and still be completely fine due to this being in a grey area of the law. You can't pump and dump stocks legally but it seems pretty easy for something like this considering you can dump the bit coins off as currency in any country.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

To quote the Bitcoin wiki page: "The last block that will generate coins will be block #6,929,999 which should be generated at or near the year 2140."

So to directly answer your question, the whole reason for mining bitcoins is because you'll most definitely be dead before the last block chain is even completed.

someone needs to rewrite the algorithm and somehow hook up block generation to folding@home or some similar constructive use of the computational power.

That would be a great idea. Verifying a relatively small hash to screen out the cheaters then perform something useful like F@H.

dannyboy3210

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
A very interesting read. I had been reading about Bitcoins (mainly because I just couldn't figure out what they were exactly), but this clears a lot of things up.
Also, at the bottom of page 5, in the Comparison of FPGA and ASIC Chips table it says "Power Fraw".

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Fiat currencies... I guess for some people the dollar wasn't worthless enough.
It is amazing how you can lose your "wallet" and your funds permanently disappear from the pool.

toarranre

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Never heard of this and I'm quite confused by it. Use graphics cards to find units of a currency that from what I can tell must be extremely succeptable to artificial inflation or all out collapse.

csf60

Honorable
May 11, 2012
In 2010 I started bitmining and reached 3 bitcoins in 2 months with a 5850. Each bitcoin was worth 3$ at that point so I just gave up and lost my wallet. If I only knew 3 years later they would change for 150$ each... :face palm:

choz

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Thanks for your calculations. I now have more things to laugh about here in Australia when I read about bitcoin "miners" setting up multi-gpu rigs when our power price is around the 25c per KWh mark and rising by 5% annually.

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
I've only skimmed the article, but I didn't see a good discussion of mining pool, trading and all the DDoS, phishing and hacking that goes with it.
The technical aspects and financial calculations are one thing, but going bitcoins is somewhat of a hornets' nest, and it's really worth discussing this stuff.
I haven't mined seriously, but the first time I tried (for two weeks, generated half a bitcoin), I left the bitcoins in the pool and one of the pool's founders embezzled and took what was there and left. I've seen other pools hacked, and there are regular DDoS attacks on them, changes in the terms, all kinds of things you really need to follow carefully if you want to mine effectively. Just leaving your miner running and hoping that you'll get the expected coins eventually doesn't cut it.
I currently mine a little LTC for fun (partly because after installing Catalyst 13.4 I can't mine BTC and can only mine LTC with an old cgminer version I have installed). I'm not sure that it's worth it financially, and I'll probably shut down mining in the not too far future.

immanuel_aj

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Yup, that's exactly what I'll be doing! There's always something in the news about it every month these days. :)

uruquiora

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
this is why i think TH is one of the best IT news website around nowadays... thanks for a very interesting article and for sharing the good and the bad with newbies like me on that subject.

tlg

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
I am also wondering how he got the HD7790 in June 2011, except if this is a typo because later on in the same page he talks about November 2012.

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
Great article, I have been wondering what the fuss was all about. Now the only question I have is:
What is all this processing power being used to do?
As it was mentioned in an earlier comment, it would be great to use it for something like scientific research like F@H...but I have never seen anything explaining IF it is being used, and if it is, what it is being used to do.

MyNewRig

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Great news, since BTC mining with GPUs is now a lost cause, time to buy the nVidia GTX 780 card and enjoy its gaming performance instead of worrying about its OpenCL capabilities (or lack of :D) LOL

EDIT: and yeah, that is such a waste of computational power and electricity, that is used to create really nothing at all, if this goes towards a good beneficial cause while mining it would be such a great project, like reCAPTCHA is used to digitize books while providing bot and SPAM protection!

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Great article, thank you. It definitely doesn't seem like bitcoin mining is a worthwhile endeavor, unless you are predicting that its price will rise sharply over the next few years.
But in that case, you can also simply just buy bitcoins.

Status
Not open for further replies.