All apps not working and internet problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015
I recently upgraded onto windows 10 thinking it would be a huge improvement on windows 8, I was sadly mistaken.
I firstly went onto the start menu, opened the "all apps" tab and tried to find Steam. I scrolled through and saw that it wasn't there! Along with many other programs! I could find a few programs but not nearly as many as I actually had.
I called my friend on skype to play something with him, he told me that my microphone kept cutting out, i checked my task manager to see if my network was the problem and i saw random high internet usage spikes every few seconds, with Google Chrome going from 3,000 bytes per second to 1 million bytes per second randomly.
Please help!

Solution
To fix everything at once you could totally reset your PC. Back up all of your personal data and everything you don't want to lose then go to settings (Start Menu -> Settings). Next, goto Update & Security -> Recovery -> Get started (The one that says "Reset this PC"). It will reinstall Windows 10 "fresh" and clean - but you WILL lost any installed programs and files that you did NOT backup. (You can also downgrade to Windows 8.1 from here)

If you want to try to patch your OS back together, I will need a bit more information. Were the other programs installed on another HDD, or were they on the local drive that Windows was install onto?

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
To fix everything at once you could totally reset your PC. Back up all of your personal data and everything you don't want to lose then go to settings (Start Menu -> Settings). Next, goto Update & Security -> Recovery -> Get started (The one that says "Reset this PC"). It will reinstall Windows 10 "fresh" and clean - but you WILL lost any installed programs and files that you did NOT backup. (You can also downgrade to Windows 8.1 from here)

If you want to try to patch your OS back together, I will need a bit more information. Were the other programs installed on another HDD, or were they on the local drive that Windows was install onto?

Solution

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015

the program files are on another hdd, also for some reason my microphone isnt working so maybe a reset is the best option although i would prefer to not have to if possible

MrTuRtLe03

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Yeah, I understand. Try having Windows index your second HDD. In the start menu type "Index" and open up Indexing Options. Click "Modify" and make sure to check the box next to your second HDD. It will index the WHOLE drive though, so you could expand the drive and select only the Program Files folder or something. You can also change where the Index is stored if need be from that menu.

As for your mic, make sure you have all the drivers installed for your mic. Open up Device Manager and look for any yellow exclamation points.

MakSM

Reputable
May 28, 2015

the index doesn't seem to have fixed it (although it may still be loading). There were no driver errors apart from an error in an unknown driver

Status
Not open for further replies.