All Around Game Performance Issues

RSalatka

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I use to game on this desktop daily but for about 2 months I had to stop for work related reasons... when I came back I wanted a clean start so I reinstalled Windows ect. but since then I haven't been able to get anywhere NEAR the performance I use to get and I don't know why..

CPU: i5-4570 3.20GHZ
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia 1050 Ti

At first I thought maybe it was a HDD issue because I'd had the same one for years... so I upgraded to a 120GB SSD for the OS and have my SteamLibrary on a 1TB SATA drive.

I've gone through around 6 fresh OS installs just to be sure...

On each instance and specifically this one I removed the GPU from the PC and installed all generic MOBO drivers along with all Windows Updates and then installed the GPU with the appropriate drivers.

For my benchmark I've been testing it against Borderlands 1. Before the problems I could run all settings on Ultra (High) with 0 frame stuttering. Now even with everything on low I get probably ~20FPS, huge stuttering.

Also, before I use to be able to play Team Fortress 2 @ a smooth 121FPS with no stuttering. Now I get a variance of 15FPS - 90FPS with no patterns.

Attempted solutions:

Install RealTek HD Audio drivers
Razer GameBooster
TimerTool
Unpark CPU
Nvidia Inspector LOD Bias @ 15.00

One thing to note: When using Unpark CPU it shows only 2 cores, not 4 like I would expect. Going into MSCONFIG in my advanced boot options I have it checked and set to 4 and in BIOS I show 4 cores.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Please note this is not a virus issue because on all instances including this one I have only installed the pertinent programs without installing anything random and or downloading anything else.

RSalatka

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Removing the heatsink did show that the thermal paste had become hardened and pulled away from the CPU. Reapplying and seating the HS has my temps at <= 50 now.

The unparking still only shows 2 cores though, should it show 4 or no?

TRENDING THREADS