[SOLVED] All brand new, CPU red light, no boot screen

Jul 8, 2020
Hello,

Just got this hardware:

Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI AM4 ATX Motherboard (ver 1)
Crucial 16GB Ballistix DDR4 3200 MHz UDIMM Gaming Desktop Memory Kit (2 x 8GB, Black)
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor

600 watt power on existing case.

I was trying to upgrade my old gaming rig. Plugged everything in, and all powers on but the CPU red light comes on straightaway. No screen, no post keyboard or mouse lights. I've reset the CPU, moved the sticks around, removed battery, shorted the cmos. Plum out of ideas.

Could the memory cause an instant cpu light? On the manual, it says only up 2966 mhz, but on the gigabyte website is says 3200. The AMD website says the 2600 only supports up to 2933 mhz. Could this cause it? (https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-2600)

Help!

Avalon

Solution
Not at this stage of booting.
You haven't gotten to the point where you can set the RAM speed to anything higher yet so it's running at default speed.

Make sure your power connectors are in for the CPU and plugged into the correct spot on the PSU if your's is modular. Sometimes they are labelled CPU but the official name is EPS connectors. They would be a 4+4 most often.
If thats ok then it's time to breadboard the system outside of the case to see if the issue is still happening. If it's not then check the case for something shorting out the motherboard, like a misplaced standoff.

popatim

Titan
You haven't gotten to the point where you can set the RAM speed to anything higher yet so it's running at default speed.

Make sure your power connectors are in for the CPU and plugged into the correct spot on the PSU if your's is modular. Sometimes they are labelled CPU but the official name is EPS connectors. They would be a 4+4 most often.
If thats ok then it's time to breadboard the system outside of the case to see if the issue is still happening. If it's not then check the case for something shorting out the motherboard, like a misplaced standoff.

Reactions: gmer_gal99
Solution
Jul 8, 2020

Ok, going to try that now. I'll report back.

Jul 8, 2020

Thanks Popatim. The breadboard lead me a fix for that problem, the power supply was not contacting the cpu power correctly. Now the cpu light goes away, but I do not get video out of the hdmi and the VGA light stays on. I read somewhere that certain cpu's like the 2600 don't have onboard graphics. I thought the motherboard provided the onboard graphics which is why the hdmi is there?

Excuse my ignorance. I'm waiting for a new nvidia card to arrive today, would that fix it?

popatim

Titan
Yes it will. The motherboard ports are for the AMD processors that have built in graphics. Most Ryzens don't except those end in G mostly, such as 3200g. There are a couple that end in GE.

Intel does the reverse. Mostly their processors all have integrated graphics except the ones that end in F.
LoL