Question All Cases Suck?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
So I guess all cases suck? Doing research it looks like you flat out must have either noise or bad temps, no way around it.

And here I spent a lot on the r6, with all those rave reviews about how oh it's so quiet and it's good enough temps.... Yeah, those are different people saying those things as it doesn't have both at the same time, the more I research it.

Basically you have to either take the front panel off and have it be a loud case or if you leave it on the testing on gamersnexus shows over a TEN DEGREE increase in cpu temps and I think like an 8 degree increase in gpu temps.

So what do I do now? This is the last day I can decide whether to return it or not (haven't opened it yet). I had decided on a fractal design regardless, only to find out every one of them has issues either with temps or noise.

And no I am not going to spend hundreds for "better fans" when I am already out over $2k on a pc I budgeted $1200 for.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
"speed" is not the only issue.
Sustained speed, reliability, warranty..

But...you're the one still waffling over parts, 2 years later.

Let us know when its built.
And to get more "reliability", which is overblown since nobody ever reaches the limit of writes anyway you have the 970 pro and almost nothing else that is MLC.

Ratings on amazon:
970 evo...… 4.8
970 evo plus..... 4.8
970 pro..... 4.8
inland premium..... you guessed it... 4.8.

It's going to be a third ssd and not a "waste of m2 slot". To get better you have to pay 50%-100% more, which I wasn't going to do for a third ssd. But for my second one I may get another Samsung OR a pcie 4 one. Reliability matters most only on the first one. pcie 4 speeds trump number of writes in importance for one of them, though.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
...are laughable.
not as funny as you contradicting yourself on the whole not saying to get the top parts comment. or the "waste of m2 slot" nonsense. Clearly what you are saying by that whole "suystained writes" comment is get MLC, which the Samsung pro is about the only choice there anymore, ie you're saying asnyone is an idiot to not get the top ssd. A ridiculous attitude to have for a moderator on a site related to building pcs.

Samsung makes some of the best out there. They would have a lot lower failure rates and better warranty.

Might i add, it is possible your cellphone or pc has samsung nand or dram in it.
And? ow you're telling us samsungs "can't" fail in a few minutes, but everything else can, huh? lol. Just because it performs well or a lot of things have it doesn't mean they are a reliable brand, as almost EVERY product they make is known for having poor quality control.

Here is my history of samsung products: I have a samsung oled which makes popping noises when not even turned on. I know someone else who has a samsung led.... has always made popping noises (ie probably a bad capacitor on both of these). They had a samsung tablet.... stopped working soon after they got it. Both of us had samsung washers which caused class action suits with samsung because of issues with those lines. Then the whole phones on planes mishaps always in the news.

Like I said, I have a 970 pro. But pretending that all brands other than samsung will magically stop working minutes after purchasing and samsung will work forever is pretty funny.

Like i said early in the thread.... this is EXACTLY how people act. Get the best parts or get shamed and then people end up spending more and more. This has happened the entire process of my buying parts. "what? you are spending over #1k and only getting a gtx 1060?". "whaaaaaaaaat, says usafret? you're spending $2k and not getting 3 samsung ssds for hundreds and hundreds of more dollars on top of the $2k???". "what? you're not getting a HIGH END motherboard, even though you never game and mostly just use the internet?".

That is exactly how it got to $2k. I listened too much to people who have no problem spending others' money. I bet you won't find anyone else here, or very few, who have THREE samsung ssds, sicne that's apparently the only ones (other than the extra high end intels)( we should buy, of course. And most likely usafret doesn't have a $2k+ build, so what's it to him if someone else spends several hundred extra for all the top parts in every slot of the mobo? lol.

USAFRet

Titan
not as funny as you contradicting yourself on the whole not saying to get the top parts comment. or the "waste of m2 slot" nonsense. Clearly what you are saying by that whole "suystained writes" comment is get MLC, which the Samsung pro is about the only choice there anymore, ie you're saying asnyone is an idiot to not get the top ssd. A ridiculous attitude to have for a moderator on a site related to building pcs.

Good luck with your build.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
So for you sata ones are good enough, but I better get ones with the highest sustain writes on nvme drives or I am wasting slots.

Anyway, well that's your opinion. Everyone has a right to their opinions. If I had endless money I'd spend triple the amount per ssd to get the top ones, but the other one is still faster than sata ones and most nvme ones and sues the popular Toshiba controller.

Everyone else keeps telling me it's a waste getting an nvme ssd at all and sata ones are overkill.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
This statement makes no sense to me at all.

Instead of going back and forth about what might work better with "whatever", why don't you tell us what parts are actually going into this build.
I already posted it on here in another thread, but there's no point because I don't have any questions about any of that. I know the pluses and minuses of the different ssds and which parts are best for this or that. I was just randomly thinking whether to get a pcie 4 ssd for the last one I buy is all. On those you CAN'T get MLC or any Samsung, which is probably why he said don't get one. The speeds are crazy high, though.

As for that comment about most saying there's no point in a nvme ssd…. they are talking about the fact that most people aren't going to be moving around huge enough files to make more than like 5 seconds difference on. I didn't say I should be getting sata ssds, I said many think that so I am sure not going to think I need to get only the very top ssds for every slot. ANY m2 nvme ssd is going tio outperform the best sata ones and microcenter and Toshiba are respected brands and that ssd is rated highly everywhere and listed as the top value ssd. Most people don't get more than 1 ssd to begin with.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
lol. keep trying, but you're not any more right on that now than the first time you pretended it. the majority of people "don't" use Samsung or intel drives (including the companies who make prebuilts) and those brands you think are second rate are far superior to hdds or sata ssds. You're way back in a distant minority to think you need a Samsung or competing wd (speaking of wd, there's a brand that is total CRAP that others would claim is first rate") or that you have some junk ssd with the other brands. Almost every person says the high end ones are a ripoff. You're the reason I even ended up with the 970 pro, I think, and sure enough everyone said that was just throwing away money. Like I said, about everything Samsung falls apart, anyway. I probably should get rid of my Samsung b die and use Hynix. Also calling Toshiba second rate is another laugher because this is one of the areas they are still a good manufacturer in.

I already posted it on here in another thread, but there's no point because I don't have any questions about any of that....
You mention a CPU, a video card, and a slew of other items you have in another post. The parts in the computer determine how much heat it puts out, which in turn can help us help you. How hard is that?

Personally I am done here. You can continue bashing people who are trying to help you, but I'm done.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
I don't think I've ever recommended a 970 Pro. To anyone.
Then you must not care about sustained writes, as you said you did, as it's the MLC one.

You mention a CPU, a video card, and a slew of other items you have in another post. The parts in the computer determine how much heat it puts out, which in turn can help us help you. How hard is that?

Personally I am done here. You can continue bashing people who are trying to help you, but I'm done.
Nice try, but he is who bashed me, saying a purchase I made (one that is highly regarded by others) was a "waste of money", "waste of m2 slot", and "second rate". All of which are ridiculous. So you kind of reversed who is bashing who. I didn't ask his opinion on that. I asked opinions on products I am NOW looking to buy, not someone bsing that a highly rated part that is much faster than his drives is second rate. By his logic 99.99% of builds would be worthless because there are very few drives better than that one. ps also on pcpartpicker every review gives it a 5. He can think what he wants, but nobody other than fanboys of brands thinks it. I guess now pcpartpicker reviews don't matter, either, even though they're all going to be from people building with them. It uses the very good Phison controller that companies he knows of, such as Corsair uses. So oh Corsair is trustworthy, but Microcenter isn't. lol.

D

Deleted member 14196

You are being extremely belligerent to everyone who tries to help. I threw out the LisnLi case and oh no it’s too expensive. there’s always something with you. All cases do not suck you’re just cheesed off that you can’t get one for a cheap price. On top of that you want to buy garbage SSDs, well go ahead and stop abusing the good folks here

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
You are being extremely belligerent to everyone who tries to help. I threw out the LisnLi case and oh no it’s too expensive. there’s always something with you. All cases do not suck you’re just pissed off that you can’t get one for a cheap price. Now you should be ignored forever
again read his posts again and tell me who is being belligerent. He was already throwing in insults even before the mocking of my ssd purchase, too. Just a typical case of the responder to rudeness being called rude. :) He's so superior by using sata ssds and then calling a highly recommended nvme one second rate. lol.

Notice on that chart I showed earlier the lian-li also had worse numbers. Me not choosing what you recommend doesn't mean I am being rude. Those cases are more expensive and don't have better test results than what I already have. Like I said it's r6 or define c and that's the only choice. I have already determined nothing else has a better balance for what I want. And yes they both basically suck as well in temps.

Then you must not care about sustained writes, as you said you did, as it's the MLC one.
If you have the budget, the 970 is a great performer.

The issue is, these incredable benchmark figures do not translate to a much faster system than if you were to use a cheaper 660p nvme. Unless you have specific needs, the 970 drives don't merit the cost bump over cheaper name brand ssds.

He has some truth. If you are going to spend a lot of money for a drive, what's the point in using an SSD from a not highly regarded brand?

Drives from brands like inland below in budget system

Its not a waste of an m.2, i just personally would not spend much money on that drive.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
If you have the budget, the 970 is a great performer.

The issue is, these incredable benchmark figures do not translate to a much faster system than if you were to use a cheaper 660p nvme. Unless you have specific needs, the 970 drives don't merit the cost bump over cheaper name brand ssds.

He has some truth. If you are going to spend a lot of money for a drive, what's the point in using an SSD from a not highly regarded brand?

Drives from brands like inland below in budget system

Its not a waste of an m.2, i just personally would not spend much money on that drive.
That is your opinion, but doesn't make much sense to me, because the 660p uses something even below TLC (I forget which..,.. I think the one that starts with Q). That is automatically not goijng to be as dependable as TLC. Most consider the 660p for only budget builds. And meanwhile the inland cost was about the same as that one. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows a lot about ssds to recommend the 660p over the inland premium. The inland uses the same Toshiba controller that is used in corsair, sabrent, and some other brands.

DefinitelyNotTom

Respectable
Jul 20, 2017
Not arguing, just want to be sure I give the accurate info on that ssd. Manufacturers that use that same ssd controller as the inland:

corsair
gigabyte
Seagate
Toshiba

People can have any opinion they want, but personally I don't call those second rate companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS