all commands to restart my computer will not work. It will shut down ok, but never restarts on its own without pressing power

rentin10

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Please help! I am having problems restarting my computer. Anytime its prompted to "restart" it shuts down and stays down. I have to manually push the power button to turn it back on.
note: I have noticed that during shut do

ScroBlow

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Hey I tested this and mine will not restart. do you have any suggestions as to what piece of hardware to investigate?

Abstrx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

The {shutdown -r} cmd line worked for my windows 8 computer experiencing the same issue as OP. However, it had only been a few minutes since i had started the computer. Will use the shutdown -r cmd line after using it all day and see if it works again after normal usage

update: cmd line {shutdown -r} did work again tonight after use all day. Guessing I have a driver or software issue somewhere.

update #2: shutdown -r did not work tonight after running for nearly 20 hours. Went through a wonky long shutdown with the circle of circles sticking in rotation then ends with comp shutting down instead of restarting. Same effect as from the normal restart option as of lately. Getting wierd audio glitches before attempting to restart and getting the FAIL.

Abstrx

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
solved mine by disabling what appears to be a duplicate driver for my audio hardware in Device Manager. Has always been visible under 'sound, video and game controllers: High Definition Audio Device'. Also found and disabled 'Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)' under 'Audio inputs and outputs'.

MattG from SC

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Check the BIOS setting for "restart after power failure." If the setting is "do not restart" then change that and see if that fixes the problem. My computer was doing the same thing, and this is the one thing that fixed that behavior.