All components dont work except for PSU

Mukachaka

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
I built a pc yesterday and only psu is working with no beep sound (HD audio connected to Mobo)
CPU fan, chassis fan and even gpu fan do not work.
When I connects a monitor to a gpu, "No cable connected" shows up
When I connects a monitor to a mobo, "No signal" shows up.
Ive tried to reassemble ram, CPU, cooler etc. I wonder if this problem is from Mobo or from cpu. And even a gpu died ? Im so frustrated that I very recently bought these things other than gpu. Please help me fix this issue.... any advice..

I would honestly suggest we start from scratch here. Something has gone wrong, and the best possible way to find it among the litany of things not working is to do this step by step.

Please consider removing your motherboard from the case if you've put it in, and getting a nice block of wood (or other suitably non-conductive material). We're going to start with breadboarding your system - so that adjustments are easy. You can connect power from your case for an easy button to try turning things on. You have a lot of things to potentially test, and the only way you're going to find out how badly you may have screwed up is by being thorough about testing each one in turn.

Please remove all cables and components you have installed. All of them. Please note to do this thoroughly, it is important you are treating it in a scientific manner - meaning isolate your variables. Do it one step at a time, and make careful notes if anything is in arrears at each point, including which point you're at.

Now, the first thing to do is inspect the motherboard. Do you see any large scratches? These can damage the traces and cause shorts or break functionality. Also, was the motherboard on standoffs, or was it directly touching the case (on its backside?).

Next, look in the CPU socket on the motherboard. Are there any bent pins? Is it clean?

Provided those are both good, carefully reinstall the CPU, and the CPU cooler.
Please carefully install ONE STICK of RAM, in the CLOSEST SLOT TO THE CPU.
Plug in:
- 12V ATX Rail (the widest connector you have on your power supply) to the motherboard.
- The CPU power connector.
- Your CPU cooler fan, on the header labelled CPU_FAN.
- The POWER Led from your case.

Check the power supply is plugged in, and check that it is flipped on. Do you get an LED on your motherboard that is glowing green, ideally? This indicates you have power flow to the system for at least the basics.

Next, try turning the system on. Listen for any beeps, and make sure that you get fan activity on the CPU cooler. Note any codes if the unit does not seem to be holding its "on" state.

Now, remove your RAM, and test each individual stick in this way. If two successive sticks do not work, move one lane over and try again. If that doesn't work, make a note.

If that's all good, try for the set, make sure you put them in paired lanes, as applicable.

Alright. If we're still sitting pretty, your RAM works well enough to boot. That's a step in the right direction.

Now, we're going to try adding the GPU.
Plug in your graphics card, and make sure to provide it with any subsidiary power it requires from the PCI connectors from your power supply.

Try booting. Note any errors or if fans fail to spin up.

Alrighty. Now try hooking in a monitor to your GPU. See if an image appears. If it does not, try doing this to your motherboard if it has video output. Sometimes it's a BIOS thing and you need to tell it specifically to use the GPU.

If we get an image, we're doing good. You can probably install the board back into your computer and reinstall these components as needed.

Plug in your hard drives and other misc cables such as those from the front panel header of your case. MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOUR MOTHERBOARD IS ON STANDOFFS. If it is touching the case directly, not only do I have a good idea of what you did wrong, but you're doing it wrong. Make sure the PSU is switched off for this point in time.

At this point, you get to more standard troubleshooting.

Mukachaka

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
I appreciate your reply.
My mobo has no led (asrock h310m hdv) and I havent seen a green light on a mobo.
I didnt touch backside of mobo and there is no any stanoff or scratch on it.. I carefully handled it when installing it inside a case. Cpu socket seems to be fine... But while I put cpu on it, a socket was scratched very very slightly by cpu edge.. could it be cause of it ? No beeps though hd audio cable is connected to a motherboard.

Also... before I forget, can you please post a full specsheet for your system? What mobo, ram, processor, psu, gpu, etc. etc. etc. are you using?

You said "no standoffs". Just to clarify, the standoff is that little brass thing that goes between your motherboard and the case to prevent shorts? If you installed without these, and the case was not specifically (and few are) designed not to need them, I may very well know your problem. This is what they are, the little brass things:

1200px-Three_types_of_standoffs.jpg

As for no LED.... as in, it doesn't have one? Or as in, it's not on? Most MOBOs include an LED now for safety to indicate when power is active.

Let me know, and we'll continue trying to figure out what has gone wrong. Also, to check.... you're doing this fresh, right? I understand if you feel you've already tried experimenting around with this, but I need you to follow the script so we can prevent any obvious oversights. Also, please try and give me positive confirmation for everything you do, rather than leaving it implicit, so I know it has been done.

I would suggest you take out the GPU and try running the System via IPGU.
I often have non working cards for repair and if the gpu does a short circuit then the whole system wont do anything, no fan spin, no boot up nothing.
Just a little *click* from the PSU which should be the short circuit protection for the psu itself.

Mukachaka

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Im using Asrock h310m hdv (mobo), samsung ddr4 8gb (ram), micronics power classic II 500w (psu), toshiba 500gb (hdd), sandisk 120gb (ssd), i3 8100 (cpu), and zotac gtx1060 3gb (gpu).
This mobo really has no led..

Not a problem, I just was wondering. Try running it on the igpu as the other person mentioned (aka, plug your video cable into your motherboard video ports, and remove the graphics card during this testing step).

How far along did you get with my instructions? If you can, please specifically address each component of what I suggested. I don't do this to be an ass, but I want to make sure that it's being followed along properly and we're not missing anything.

Also, as I mentioned, can you clarify how you used or did not use standoffs for your motherboard? Please read what I write thoroughly. There will be many questions and the longer it takes to answer them if you're not addressing them, the longer this process is going to take. I know removing it from the case is annoying, but I earnestly request you humour me here. Try the iGPU thing first, but if not, we're going to have to do a thorough diagnosis and you need to examine the motherboard fully, not just its front face.

Mukachaka

Prominent
Jul 10, 2017
Sorry. I was consulting this issue with an employee of pc shop where I bought it and covering up to send it to them for a while. Before doing so, I tried to follow your instruction one at a time. I checked that there was no scratches on a mobo. As for standoffs.. I didnt use a standoffs.. Ive used a screws into a holes of mobo without a standoffs like the above pic. I didnt need a them. It seems like this pc case is designed not to need them. And how could a standoffs directly touch a case ? Also I already tried to connect a mointor to a mobo(igpu) then "NO SIGNAL" showed up in monitor. Tried to move a ram to a slot closest to the cpu (only had one stick ram). Had no beep sound though a hd audio cable was connected to mobo. CPU fan and chassis fan are connected to a cpu_fan and chas_fan respectively. Both didnt work. I checked whether all cables were connected to a correct positions a multiple times.

The standoffs wouldn't if they weren't needed (they put space between your mobo and your case to keep the mobo from shorting). Not many cases are designed that way though.... did it have bumps or something? If the motherboard is just touching the case with its full backside, well, that'd be your problem right there. I suspect the employee would notice that right away though. Basically, the motherboard should not be sitting flush with that area of the case. If there's no space between it and the case, it'd be shorting, or worse, damaged, which may explain your lack of traction with the unit.

If you did earnestly try all those things, it might point at the mobo being faulty, assuming the power supply works. Testing that gets into having some tools you're not likely to have though, hence why I sort of skipped it. You could look up how to jump the PSU and then plug in a fan on the molex connector or something if you have a compatible fan to see if it powers on.

Does this mean you're just going to have the shop take care of it, or do you still require help?

Mhh.. did you take out the GPU completly?
its important that the gpu is not connected to the PCIe-Slot of the Motherboard or the 6/8Pin Powercable from the PSU. Otherwise the PSU will still not turn on even if the HDMI (or what ever you are Using) cables in plugged to the IPGU of the MOBO.