I recently assembled a new gaming rig:
MSI Gaming 7 (z97 chipset)
Core i5 4670k processor
AMD R9 290 Graphic card
8gb DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz (1 stick)
750W PSU
Corsair H100i liquid cooling
Antec DF-85 cabbie

I installed Assassin's creed 4 and COD ghosts. The games runs flawlessly at high res. However these game freeze after playing for 5-10 min. The alt+tab seems to work but I am unable to select task manager to kill the process and need to turn off the system.

I am not sure if this is due to some driver or some hardware overheating. May also be a voltage issue.

Anyone with any solution???

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Try re-install your Catalyst. I wouldn't recommend the Beta as it messes a lot up for people.
14.4 is what i'm using.
This happens to me on Black Ops 2 but it's stopped now.
If you need links write back or PM me. :)

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014

Ya...that was the the first thing i did...performed a clean uninstall of the current driver installed...then installed the latest driver....but it still crashed!
I also made certain changes using MSI Afterburner...but it did not work for me!

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
What did you change when it first started to happen?
Did you install any thing that could affect it?
Try disable your antivirus.
Are your games pirated?
Download SpeedFan, Run the games in windowed mode and then see if something gets hot.

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014

I increased fan speed from 30 to 50 , forced constant voltage and disabled ULPS using MSI After burner.
I read in the forums here that this had worked for few people. However it is not working for me.

I also changed RAM chip today but no difference.

I don't think I installed anything that may have affected it.
I had installed antivirus of course, but i always disable it before playing games.

I don't play much online except FIFA 14, which is original one. Answering your question, these two games are pirated. Also, NFS rivals has been running well without any issue for nearly an hour.

To test the temps, i ran COD Ghosts in windowed mode; gpu temps went from 50 to 65-70 and cpu from 40 to around 52.

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Generally, if it's pirated it won't work to it's quality compared to purchasing the actual game which i've personally experienced before.
Disable Afterburner etc and play by stock.
Turn settings down and see different temperatures otherwise it could be something dodgy with your components. (GPU).
You could try installing Windows 7 or another copy of windows on a new partition and try the games again so it could be a driver issue, it's hard to tell sometimes.

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014

The pirated nfs rivals works well without any crash for hours.
Also, will check with beloved original FIFA14.

I had considered to go for win7, but decided to get all other options sorted before that.
I read that nvidia users as well as win7 64 bit users have faced similar issues too.

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
IF there is a PhysX option, untick it to make the game more stable. AMD can't handle PhysX engine because it's NVIDIA specific but I really don't see any difference with it really.
How old is your PSU?

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014

The entire system is brand new.
Call me a noob but i don't see any physx option; how do i disable it?
I didn't even know there was a physx available for amd card!!!

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
There isn't PhysX available for AMD. It's just a setting in game like Mirror's Edge, it's enabled by default as the game uses it for clothes and curtains etc.
Try a few games (other than NFS) and see if the problem consists. The pirated copies you have may be dodgy in terms of file settings etc.
Go on Steam and try out Team Fortress 2 or something, it's Free to Play and would be a good tester.

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014

I am installing my FIFA 14 now. Will give it a shot. Also just read that E2200 Lan driver is buggy and cause many crashes. will look into it as well.

AsadP2012

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Ahhh. You should've said. My WiFi dongle causes me issues and freezes/locks up until I do a restart, freshly re-install those drivers as some files can be corrupt, I know yours isn't WiFi but driver re-install could help.

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014

I actually got an alternative online where I can replace this drive with Qualcomm Atheros driver. This solved issue for few people. I am trying it right now.

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014

Played FIFA 14 for over an hour. No crashes. So no crashes in FIFA as well as NFS Rivals. this is killing me

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Hi guys, Sorry have been out so could not post anything!

The issue still persists. I thought it was sound driver. I isolated HDMI and board drivers and ran them individually. Crashed at both the instances.
The temperatures are good.

Even Crysis 2 is crashng with small black screen at any instance.
Read somewhere that increasing the core voltage through MSI Afterburner may solve the issue. Default Core voltage value on MSI Afterburner is +50mv. Default core clock value is 1040 MHz and Memory Clock value is 1350 MHz. I am using Powercolor R9 290 PCS+ Card. Any Suggestions?

Achs

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Finally the culprit was GPU BIOS. AMD technical assistance from India requested me to RMA the card.
However, the I contacted Powercolor Technical Guy from North America.
He sent me new GPU BIOS; I flashed it; and the problem has disappeared for good.

Thank you guys for all your inputs!!!