Question All CPU cores at 100%

Feb 19, 2019
Hello,

I notived that whenever i'm gaming the fps drops occasionally like 20/30 out of nothing. At that moment i also sort of lag or stutter. I downloaded HWmonitor and checked the cpu cores and noticed they all go to 100% when i'm ingame (Apex Legends in this case). Is my 4690k maybe bottlenecking my GTX1070(8gb) or is there something wrong with my cpu ? also my CPU is not overclocked , should i? (getting max temperatures around 60 right now)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you still are using the stock cooler, don't OC.

HWMon doesn't provide real time usage. Try something like MSI afterburner and watch the CPU usage vs GPU usage in real time.
Do you have other apps open while gaming? The 4 core 4690K should be right at the margin for the GTX 1070 in games that are heavily threaded. It is entirely possible to see all 4 cores at 100% usage in certain games at certain settings on certain busy servers. Does it do this in single player (campaign mode) too?

Cioby

Distinguished
You could OC a little, I mean your CPU is old. I had my 4770k OC for over 6 out of my 7 years of usage and it still worked until I replaced it. Just make sure you don't get over 85 degrees.
If you are running with no Vsync or you are under the max refresh rate of your monitor, then yes, your GPU and CPU might both go to 100% to try to give you the best performance you can get. Fps drops are normal since the game is new and has a lot of effects, try disabling or lowering 1-2 settings, like effects or smoke or fire.
Also remember you may be influenced by lag too since it's an online game.

Feb 19, 2019
Not using the stock cooler. And also not having other apps open. And yes it also does it in single player mode and some other games too. My monitor is 144hz, and i have all settings on low.

Feb 19, 2019
Its more like im playing at 40 fps, while the fps counter says 90-130. Im okay with upgrading my cpu but i have to be sure its because its bottlenecking