[SOLVED] All fans running 100% PC won't start when GPU is connected to PSU

Dec 19, 2018
Hi. I built my new computer yesterday. To begin with, it booted up fine. The first time I powered it on, it turned off and on again a few couple of times. But eventually I got into BIOS where chose to run an XMP. Then i let it boot into windows (I kept the storage from the old setup) and it was working fine. I updated some motherboard updates and so on and restarted the computer. This time it started perfectly. Then I decided i'd try to play some BFV on it and it opened the game just fine. After a few minutes before I could get into a game, the screen went black and the fans started going 100%, all of them including the graphics card fans. I then forced the computer to shut down and when I tried turning it on again, it wouldn't start. It would only be on for a millisecond to 2 seconds. I then discovered that if I disconnect the GPU from the PSU, it would start. It may take a few tries like the first time I started it, but It would stay running. The fans keep going at 100% with the GPU disconnected, I tried re-installing windows 10 as I could still use a screen via the motherboard display port, but now I have no internet connection on it. Anyone have an idea what to do?

Solution
Oof. The PSU would have been the simpler fix! I think now it's time to RMA the card; the 980 Ti came out in June 2015, so as long as you weren't *too* early an adopter, you may still have your warranty, but I'd recommend being quick!
Dec 19, 2018

Of course. I can't believe I left all That out.
Intel i7 9700k
ASUS maximus XI Hero
Asus GTX980Ti strix
Nzxt kraken x62 AIO water cooling
Non-modular 650W 80+ bronze PSU from Cooler master(I Don't remember the exact model)
4x8GB 3200Mhz CL14 G.skill trident Z RGB RAM
Coolermaster H500M case
Samsung 850 evo 500GB SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD from seagate

Dec 19, 2018

Sadly not, but I've considered going for a better rated modular one. I could buy another ASAP. Do you have any suggestions on what to go for? Perhaps one with EATX12v compatibility?

Dec 19, 2018
I found a corsair HX750 80+ platinum on sale. I suppose that would be just fine?

I also tried taking the graphics card out of the PCI-e port today. It seems like it was the only component going 100% fan speed. I guess I'm down to the fault being either the Graphics card or the PSU. I hope it's just the PSU not being sufficient in the new system as I had no problems with my graphics card before I moved it to my new system.

Dec 19, 2018
Absolutely. I've been wanting to go modular for a while also so this should fit the looks of the rest of the build much better. My biggest worry was that it was my new motherboard having issues. I will be sure to update this thread when I get the PSU swapped later today. I also appreciate your input and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Dec 19, 2018
Alright, so I just plugged in the HX750 PSU and fired up the PC. First without the graphics card plugged into the PCI-e port. That went fine. Then I plugged in the graphics card and connected the PSU with the switch on "multiple 12v" to it and it turned on and off a couple of times like the first time I booted up the new system. Then i clicked the switch on the PSU to "single 12v" I didn't get any response on my display though, but this time it would keep running with the PSU plugged in. Then I swapped it to the second PCI-e port and this time it would turn on my display from standby and it would say "displayport no signal" then i heard a little bit of cracking noises from the graphics card, maybe the PCI-e port itself. the fans kept going 100% like before. I then restarted it and again got no response on the screen. I felt the graphics card and it was feeling really hot. The graphics card is most likely toasted, I guess but do you think it could have broken the PCI-e ports too?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oof. The PSU would have been the simpler fix! I think now it's time to RMA the card; the 980 Ti came out in June 2015, so as long as you weren't *too* early an adopter, you may still have your warranty, but I'd recommend being quick!

Solution
Dec 19, 2018
I think you're right. What do you think about the motherboard situation though? Could I safely buy a new gpu and install it into the motherboard without the fear of the new one being destroyed? I'm starting to get paranoid. I'm twice as much money into this build if I buy a new graphics card than I planned on spending, so I'm really scared of breaking things now.

Dec 19, 2018
Plugged the new graphics card in and fired up the system and i got the display running off of the graphics card. If you hear no more from me, this was the solution. The old 650W PSU could have been at fault or it could have been fine. I'm not going to test it though, as i'm already an entire month's salary after taxes Into this build. Again, thanks for giving input. I hope this can be of help to someone Else some day.
Cheers!