Question All fans start/light up but then stop (now it won't turn on)

Sep 12, 2019
Hey everyone, so I have a problem with my gaming pc.

To add some backstory to what happened at the time of the event, I was playing dead by daylight with my friend. I haven't overclocked my graphics card, cpu, or ram. I have a Radeon r9 280 and 16 gbs of ram. The only thing I have messed with in the bios was that when buying 8 more gbs of ram for my gaming desktop I had to modify the timings on the ram sticks to accompany the newer ram sticks differing timing.

So here is where the problem comes in, so as we are playing we just finished up a game and as I was sitting in the lobby and the video output cut out and my monitor displayed a no signal notification on the screen. I figured a cable came loose and after checking the connections (HDMI) it still showed no signal. However, I smelled a faint smell of ozone? Like I was able to tell it smelled like something burning/ozone. I will say that I was stupid in the fact that I put my desktop on the floor under my college bed (The bed is lifted so there airflow but there is a possibility for dust accumulation).

So after smelling the ozone I figured it was probably best to shut the pc off and let it chill while I look up the problem (my power cord is plugged into an extension cord and I unplugged the cable from the extension cord) After about 10 minutes I decided to open up the case and look inside for any possible burn marks/capacitor puffing. I didn't see anything blatantly wrong.

I tried unplugging my graphics card since I assumed that since there was a video cutout maybe the card overheated (I have 4 fans blowing into the case, so it was unlikely but worth a shot) after looking around and also shining a light into the PSU to check it out everything seemed fine. I plugged it back in after about 35-40 minutes. Now when plugging the power cord back in, flipping the switch on the PSU, and then hitting the power button the fans (Both case fans/CPU fan) all light up and start to spin for half a second then cut out. Which was interesting.

After some looking, I decided to check the PSU (paperclip test) and after plugging in the paper clip into the ground wire and neighboring black cable the fans would light up and spin up when wiggling the paper clip. If I plugged the paperclip fully into the ports for the ground wire and into the black wire then nothing would happen. Only when wiggling the paperclip would the fans spin up and light up but they wouldn't stay lit up.

So that is where I am at right now. My idea was that there is something wrong with a wire or maybe my PSU? My only worry is that maybe this is just one problem that happened to show up at the same time. If it means anything my friend said that after my no signal for my monitor showed up I cut out and disconnected from discord (Which may just be the time I turned off my computer but worth mentioning) another thing is that while the no signal showed up my computer was still fully running (Fans, light and all) but wasn't showing a signal on my monitor.

Anyway, if anyone can help that would be great. I know my way around computers but don't have the experience to diagnose a problem. I would prefer to not go to a computer repair store but if worse comes to worst I will take it to a repair store for a more in-depth look/repair. Again thank you for any help!

Sep 12, 2019
So just an update for those who are interested in helping, I found that when sticking a paper clip into the green wire and black wire (15&16 on the 24 pin connector) I was able to sustain power (fans light up and spin) when the paper clip was touching the outside of the black wire connector. (ie I didn't have to wiggle the wire to make the psu keep outputting power to the pc. I don't know if it's just the black wire or the green one. I'm going to try and see if I can maybe make the connections on those two wires more in contact with their female connectors...

Sep 12, 2019
So I have found that the green/black wires may not be the problem because now when I stick the paperclip in it acts like normal, maybe it has to do with the motherboard? I dont know what is tripping the psu to cut power