Question All fans work but no monitor output

Betoner

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Hi,

I don't know if it's related to this section or not but here's the problem: I wasn't home and someone played GTA Vice city and it froze and when trying to restart, nothing happened. I turned on the machine and there's no video input. Monitor is black and its power button blinks as if the PC is turned off. After too many trial and error and restarts I restarted and found the bios screen with the motherboard logo and then it stuck forever and when I tried to restart it to get rid of that frozen screen, still no video output.

Tried to reset CMOS and after 1000 restarts it worked to tell me to choose which bios and when I chose one, it froze again and had to restart .

My problem's symptoms:

Although my screen still black, no video output, but every single fan in my case is working fine, HDDs spin, LAN lamp is on, mouse has its light, USB ports has power to charge a phone and even checked the processor without its fan to determine if it has power and I touched and it was getting hotter as soon as I pressed the power button

My Troubleshooting:
  1. Removed the processor's fan, re-apply the paste. (Tried without fan to see if the processor is dead but it heated up pretty fast without the fan)
  2. CMOS battery removal for 5 minutes and CMOS resetting using a screwdriver for 5 seconds.
  3. Cleaning the rams and swapped their places couple of hundred of times.
  4. Removing the external video card and tried the on-board card.
  5. Removing every single HDD that I got
  6. Removing the two ram sticks
  7. Cleaning the whole rig
  8. Changing the power cable's place
  9. Take the 24-pin cable and the 4-pin cable away and then put it back again.
  10. Get rid of every single cable attached, removed power cable and pressed the powe button for 30 seconds to get rid of any excess charges that might be there
  11. Maybe we should exclude the power supply as a problem since I've just tried the paperclip test:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4
    and http://support.antec.com/support/so...19-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test
My machine is a bit ancient and has those specifications:
Motherboard : Gigabyte G31-S2L
Processor: Core2Duo E7200
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston DDR2
Video: XFX 9500 GT 512MB
Windows 7 x64
Couple of HDDs
Power Supply: Antec 450 watt

What is the problem ? Faulty PSU? Bad RAMs? Motherboard has some damage?

What do you think?

Last edited:
  • CMOS battery removal for 5 minutes and CMOS resetting using a screwdriver for 5 seconds.
  • Removing the external video card and tried the on-board card.
  • Removing every single HDD that I got
  • Removing the two ram sticks
  • Take the 24-pin cable and the 4-pin cable away and then put it back again.
If you boot the PC without RAM and boot device, after you did all these steps, the PC will not boot. I will say either the MB or cpu has problem.

Just because the power supply passed the paper clip test doesn't mean that it can supply power under load. That would be my guess. Do you have another PSU that you could try?

Betoner

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
If you boot the PC without RAM and boot device, after you did all these steps, the PC will not boot. I will say either the MB or cpu has problem.

Yes I tried without RAM or HDDs to eliminate anything related to them and to wait for any error message but nothing appeared!

Well after 10000 tries with everything attached, the monitor did catch an image of the bios but it stuck there forever and I had to restart it once again.

Another time it did catch a CMOS change and I chose an option and then it stuck forever.

I already tried the CPU without the fan and it was getting hot pretty fast, I don't know whether or not it means that he's alive or just pretending to be!

Anything to determine whether it's the CPU or the MB?

Last edited:

Betoner

Reputable
Apr 7, 2019
Just because the power supply passed the paper clip test doesn't mean that it can supply power under load. That would be my guess. Do you have another PSU that you could try?

Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts of anything related to my rig right now and it's not possible to even borrow a component from somebody else so it makes it harder for me to point the problem.

Maybe I'm ready to buy a motherboard from the same exact generation (G41/G31) but I gotta be sure that the motherboard is the issue here.

Sepaking of the PSU, I'm not sure that he's a problem as everything runs including fans,HDDs, CPU fan, LAN lamp is on, even the CPU itself gets hot rapidly when I tried it without the fan to make sure that he got power to it, otherwise I would be sure that the motherboard/PSU is RIP

Unfortunately I don't have any spare parts of anything related to my rig right now and it's not possible to even borrow a component from somebody else so it makes it harder for me to point the problem.

Maybe I'm ready to buy a motherboard from the same exact generation (G41/G31) but I gotta be sure that the motherboard is the issue here.

Sepaking of the PSU, I'm not sure that he's a problem as everything runs including fans,HDDs, CPU fan, LAN lamp is on, even the CPU itself gets hot rapidly when I tried it without the fan to make sure that he got power to it, otherwise I would be sure that the motherboard/PSU is RIP

Any progress?