All FSGenesis mesh for US$30?

This was posted on AVSIM a few hours ago. Long story follows. But first
the short story with my interpretation thereof. Go to
http://abacuspub.com/wel and read the product description for "World
Extreme Landscapes." Then scroll to the bottom and look at the author:
Justin Tyme of FSGenesis. If I'm reading this right, then in May we are
going to be able to purchase all of Justin Tyme's 76m and 38m mesh on 3
DVDs for the way low price of US$30. (Currently it's $10 per region
unless you buy a membership.) Too good to be true?

Now for the long story as posted on the AVSIM home page. Attribution to
Tyme/FSGenesis is on the aforementioned webpage.

With Microsoft Flight Simulator you can effortlessly travel to places
that most of us only dream about. Flying the simulator is a certainly a
great way to visit the world. From the dizzying heights of the
Himalayas to the dense jungles of the Amazon and from the picturesque
Alps to the remote, rugged headwaters of the Nile, there's an endless
supply of adventures awaiting you. In their press relase Abacus says,
"By simply adding World Extreme Landscapes you'll instantly transform
these places into even more magnificent views. Based on Flight
Simulator's adaptable elevated mesh terrain technology, we've boosted
the detail up to 128-fold. We've replaced the default elevation data
with super refined 76 meter (38 meter for some locations) information.
The result is an incredible scenic views bringing the Flight Simulator
experience even closer to reality. World Extreme Landscapes boosts the
visual accuracy of Flight Simulator by adding millions of points to
Flight Simulator's elevation data. For this huge amount of information,
it is delivered on a set of 3 DVDs with minimal effect on performance."

While World Extreme Landscapes covers virtually the entire globe, you
can install these areas independently of one another:
North America
Central and South America
Europe
Africa
Asia
Australia and New Zealand

Additionally, for your "flightseeing pleasure", this huge package
includes a new aircraft so you can fly low and slow over the new
terrain or high and fast to view these impressive sights from afar.
You'll fly in the Vans RV- 6A, a slick two-seater with a top speed of
200 mph, a stall speed of under 50 mph and handles wonderfully. The
package also has a large set of pre-planned flights that takes you over
some of the remarkable new Flight Simulator landscape. World Extreme
Landscapes is scheduled for release mid May. It is delivered as a 3 DVD
set. A complete installation requires a DVD drive and about 14 GB of
hard disk space. Suggested retail price is $29.95.

Arthur

I have a DVD drive on my computer. I was thinking about buying a similar
program currently available from Avsim for $59.99 USD. At the same time, I
was wondering if I would get another DVD drive on a future computer since I
hardly use the one I have. If that was the case, I could use the DVD's as
cat toys.

Nonetheless, I'll wait before I buy anything just to see what the buzz is
about the product.

Arthur

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1113020286.26975@forums.simradar.com...
> This was posted on AVSIM a few hours ago. Long story follows. But first
> the short story with my interpretation thereof. Go to
> http://abacuspub.com/wel and read the product description for "World
> Extreme Landscapes." Then scroll to the bottom and look at the author:
> Justin Tyme of FSGenesis. If I'm reading this right, then in May we are
> going to be able to purchase all of Justin Tyme's 76m and 38m mesh on 3
> DVDs for the way low price of US$30. (Currently it's $10 per region
> unless you buy a membership.) Too good to be true?
>
> Now for the long story as posted on the AVSIM home page. Attribution to
> Tyme/FSGenesis is on the aforementioned webpage.
>
> With Microsoft Flight Simulator you can effortlessly travel to places
> that most of us only dream about. Flying the simulator is a certainly a
> great way to visit the world. From the dizzying heights of the
> Himalayas to the dense jungles of the Amazon and from the picturesque
> Alps to the remote, rugged headwaters of the Nile, there's an endless
> supply of adventures awaiting you. In their press relase Abacus says,
> "By simply adding World Extreme Landscapes you'll instantly transform
> these places into even more magnificent views. Based on Flight
> Simulator's adaptable elevated mesh terrain technology, we've boosted
> the detail up to 128-fold. We've replaced the default elevation data
> with super refined 76 meter (38 meter for some locations) information.
> The result is an incredible scenic views bringing the Flight Simulator
> experience even closer to reality. World Extreme Landscapes boosts the
> visual accuracy of Flight Simulator by adding millions of points to
> Flight Simulator's elevation data. For this huge amount of information,
> it is delivered on a set of 3 DVDs with minimal effect on performance."
>
> While World Extreme Landscapes covers virtually the entire globe, you
> can install these areas independently of one another:
> North America
> Central and South America
> Europe
> Africa
> Asia
> Australia and New Zealand
>
> Additionally, for your "flightseeing pleasure", this huge package
> includes a new aircraft so you can fly low and slow over the new
> terrain or high and fast to view these impressive sights from afar.
> You'll fly in the Vans RV- 6A, a slick two-seater with a top speed of
> 200 mph, a stall speed of under 50 mph and handles wonderfully. The
> package also has a large set of pre-planned flights that takes you over
> some of the remarkable new Flight Simulator landscape. World Extreme
> Landscapes is scheduled for release mid May. It is delivered as a 3 DVD
> set. A complete installation requires a DVD drive and about 14 GB of
> hard disk space. Suggested retail price is $29.95.

GREGORY

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 23:19:04 -0500, David Wilson-Okamura <David
Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> brought the following to our
attention:

>This was posted on AVSIM a few hours ago. Long story follows. But first
>the short story with my interpretation thereof. Go to
>http://abacuspub.com/wel and read the product description for "World
>Extreme Landscapes." Then scroll to the bottom and look at the author:
>Justin Tyme of FSGenesis. If I'm reading this right, then in May we are
>going to be able to purchase all of Justin Tyme's 76m and 38m mesh on 3
>DVDs for the way low price of US$30. (Currently it's $10 per region
>unless you buy a membership.) Too good to be true?

It seems hard to believe.. perhaps Justin will pop in and comment.
Maybe they showed him some sales projections and his eyes lit up!!

Sounds really easy to pop in a DVD and install.. much faster than
searching the web for 6 months and hacking away at sorting and
configuration. But for some users.. that activity is enjoyable.

-Gregory

HI Guys,

Yes, the World Extreme Landscapes is a companion to USA Extreme Landscapes
which is packaged for world-wide brick and mortar distribution to the casual
simmer demographic.

USA Extreme Landscapes is doing pretty well, especially since it got
mentioned in a recent Flying Magazine article about mountain flying.

There is complete world land-mass coverage, including the higher latitudes
and comes with a world-wide base of LOD 6 "Buffer Mesh" to help with the
distant "slivers" one sometimes sees when using higher-res terrain mesh.
The higher latitudes are made from a lower resolution dataset than SRTM 90m,
but it improves on the default.

As well, areas of western and eastern Canada come with 38.2m terrain made
from CDED 23m source data.

Justin
http://www.fsgenesis.net

FSGenesis <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote:

> There is complete world land-mass coverage, including the higher latitudes
> and comes with a world-wide base of LOD 6 "Buffer Mesh" to help with the
> distant "slivers" one sometimes sees when using higher-res terrain mesh.

Justin, will the LOD6 ever be available as a download off your site to the
memberships?

--
Peter

Yes, beginning sometime tomorrow, I hope. Will probably be an LOD 7 set
available, too, soon after that.

Everything will remain available as downloads and individually as CDs, just
like before. Nothing on my site or store will change as far as
availability, etc. The Abacus stuff is pretty-much aimed for the
brick-and-mortar casual market, while my site caters more to the fanatic
internet users.

I'm also finishing up a complete overhaul of Alaska using the latest source
data, and will have both 76.4m and 38.2m version available within a couple
of days, enhancing compatibility with the newly-released Flight 1 Ultimate
Terrain Canada/Alaska.

Justin

"pr" <nope@nospam.com> wrote in message
> FSGenesis <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote:
>
>> There is complete world land-mass coverage, including the higher
>> latitudes
>> and comes with a world-wide base of LOD 6 "Buffer Mesh" to help with the
>> distant "slivers" one sometimes sees when using higher-res terrain mesh.
>
> Justin, will the LOD6 ever be available as a download off your site to the
> memberships?
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

FSGenesis <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote:

> I'm also finishing up a complete overhaul of Alaska using the latest source
> data, and will have both 76.4m and 38.2m version available within a couple
> of days, enhancing compatibility with the newly-released Flight 1 Ultimate
> Terrain Canada/Alaska.

Wow, good stuff, Justin. Looking forward to it.

--
Peter

crash

FSGenesis wrote:
> I'm also finishing up a complete overhaul of Alaska using the latest
> source data, and will have both 76.4m and 38.2m version available
> within a couple of days, enhancing compatibility with the
> newly-released Flight 1 Ultimate Terrain Canada/Alaska.

Yu da man Justin! Gawd, I hate that phrase, but it just seemed
approriate.....

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don