Question All full screen 3D is crashing/Failing

Jul 13, 2020
Hey Guys

Been away from PC's for nearly 4 years, pulled my now maybe 6-7 year old rig out of retirement (in a box in a garage for over 3 years) in March. Has been great for some D3, rocksmith, SC2, New Vegas etc to keep me entertained, all seemed to be running well.

Then out of the blue (end of June) it just <Mod Edit> the bed on rocksmith, I get like 20 sec into a song and it crashes. Thought it might be graphics drivers, attempted to remove current drivers and install new ones, all went to <Mod Edit> and ended up with fresh windows 10 install....

Even with fresh windows 10 install, still crashing or just behaving weird (ie, not crashing in SC2 but just like going to desktop with game play cursor, audio going, no visuals).

Run absolutely fine in general PC use, full screen video etc, just does not like anything 3D.

Ran a windows memory test thing, says that is all happy.

Ran OCCT on the 3D test, it went sideways after about 19 seconds and gave me like 894239 errors.

Any other troubleshooting suggestions?
Does this mean my videocard is cooked?
And what is a suitable new card if so to keep my old rig ticking along?

CPU - i5-3570
GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670
Mobo - Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
RAM - 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws
PSU - Corsair HX650W

Not interested in getting it up to current spec as well, that is a whole new PC, just keep me entertained on 4+ year old games.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 13, 2020
Corsair HX650W is the PSU

Every game consistently crashes as soon as I get past menus. I can navigate menus fine, then either instantly or less that 20 seconds in it crashes.

Surely not a heat issue? that said, what would you recommend to monitor that, like I said, I've been out of the PC world for many years.

It was a stable rig for many years, don't think its power.

Honestly i'm hoping for someone to say "you GPU is dead, here is a suitable replacement for $150" or "here is a simple fix you idiot"

Either one would be great!

Next alternative is drop a few grand on a gaming laptop, and i'm trying to avoid that...

Last edited: