All Games Broken

VirtualKetchup

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
I recently purchased the "Command and Conquer Ultimate Collection" for Origin and was attempting to play the original "Red Alert". After reading this forum thread here.

http://

I attempted their second solution, which was to "Download & install the DirectX SDK from March 2008". I did so and followed their directions closely, but was still unable to get "Red Alert" to load. No harm, no foul. So I promptly uninstalled the DirectX SDK and went about my business.

Now, however, every game on my PC refuses to load and crashes to desktop, regardless of the launcher: Origin, Steam, etc. Here are a few error messages that I am receiving.

- Max Payne -
An error has occurred in the graphics engine. Try to downgrade your screen mode and/or other settings by pressing the "Options..." button in Max Payne startup dialog. Max Payne requires a DirectX 8 compatible display adapter. Please consult the troubleshooting readme in the installation folder.

Error: setFullscreen - creating the device failed: Unrecognized error: 0x80070057

- DMC Devil May Cry -
Failed to create the D3D9 Device! This can happen if the desktop is locked. Exiting...

- Fallout 3 -
Failed to initialize renderer.
Unknown error creating the Gamebryo Renderer.

- Dead Space -
Dead Space.exe has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I cannot help but notice the timing of all of these game crashing and my recent "DirectX SDK" download and installation. Does anyone know what I did, and how it could be reversed or undone? I'm close to simply re-installing Windows 8 again, and starting from scratch. However, any help or assistance anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated. If you need more information, just tell me what you need and how I can provide it.

Solution
Check This for re-installing DirectX for Windows. You installed a 2008 solution onto a 2012 Windows OS. When you uninstalled the update, it took something vital with it. Re-installing this may resolve your issue.

-Wolf sends

VirtualKetchup

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

Thanks for the response Wolfshadw. However, I have been to that site you linked to, and the only way to manually re-install DirectX 11.2 for Windows 8.1 is to reinstall the Windows 8.1 update. As of now I am unaware of any way to do that without simply reformatting and reinstalling Windows.