All games closing unexpectedly without error message

Turkeldawg

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
Hi!

So for the past month or so my 5 year old computer has been acting strangely, for browsing it works fine but when playing games they crash after a short time of playing. The strange thing is that I haven't changed anything about the computer lately, all parts are the same as they were when it was working fine and I've been running windows 10 for a few years. I have a small feeling that it could be my old HDD that is starting to give up on me, it's a 1TB seagate barracuda (5 years old) that is mostly full. When I checked it with ckdsk no problems appeared though.

My specs are:
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k processor
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 660Ti 3GB PhysX CUDA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (2x4GB) CL9
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Socket-1155
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 midi tower

I have already tried DDU and reinstalling latest Nvidia drivers. I also did a burn-in benchmark with Furmark which did not crash and was completed succesfully, with max temp on cpu of about 65C and 70C for the GPU. During these problems I have had one bluescreen, which was CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have, really hope to get this working again!

Edit 1: Just tried running a prime95 blend test and was monitoring my cpu temps, it went up to 80C on one core. It only ran for a few minutes though before causing a blue screen crash, with the error code SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I have tried to update my drivers, and according to windows everything seems to be up to date. I do however think i'm running an old BIOS since I haven't updated it since getting the computer. Could that be the cause?

Phazoner

Distinguished
As you have succesfully find out, the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error uses to be related to CPU issues. A BIOS update could solve it and probably formatting the computer would help. Fortunately I think you aren't running into hardware issues :)

Turkeldawg

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Yeah, updating the BIOS is my next step. I am currently updating windows though, since a new update recently was released. If nothing changes I'll update BIOS and see what happens :)